BC Boards
D'Elle

An Update on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy

I found this article more helpful and informative than others I have read on the topic.

(Please excuse if this has already been posted and I missed it)

It's Not Just Grain Free

Thing is, what does one feed? I have been feeding grain-free kibble and canned food to all my dogs for years. Switching to non-grain-free would mean money saved (a lot) and if it's just as good or better then I would do that. Switching to raw sounds as if it might be better but the research says it is not, and I am not really prepared to make that switch. The article is not conclusive because the research isn't conclusive. 

Would be interested in your feedback on this.

I am trying to find more info on this vet.  I think she may be the one that is a shill for the big pet food companies.  They are in direct competition with the smaller boutique companies that sell these exotic foods as well as companies selling raw food diets. She is the one that says cking ingredients is a waste of time.  She  is associated with Purina and they are funding a study at Tufts.  

The last I heard was to ck the first 5 ingredients and make sure they don't include pea meal, peas, legumes or potatoes.  

I have never fed grain free.  I just feed Fromm regular food for weight control.  

If you find out she is funded by Purina or any other such company please let me know, as that would render her opinion invalid. One always has to know the source.

She is.  Just Google her name and lots if stuff comes up.  One of the things is a nutritional study funded by Purina. 

That doesn't mean she is wrong but I would expect bias.   

What rang a bell was her statement that reading ingredients is not an accurate picture of how good the food is.  I have always heard the opposite.

The article you  posted is a summary of a commentary published in the peer-reviewed Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, authored by five research veterinarians affiliated with 4 veterinary schools (Tufts, UC Davis, U of Illinois, and North Carolina State).  One of those five authors has received grant money from two companies that produces dog food (including several grain free formulations), the other four authors have not.  Which information in this summary morphs from "helpful and informative" to "invalid" and "unreliable" based on the fact that one of the five authors has done research sometime in the past three years that was partially funded by a company that produces dog food, including grain free formulations?

17 hours ago, Hooper2 said:

Which information in this summary morphs from "helpful and informative" to "invalid" and "unreliable" based on the fact that one of the five authors has done research sometime in the past three years that was partially funded by a company that produces dog food, including grain free formulations?

Good point, @Hooper2.

Dietary deficiency of carnitine and taurine is only one form, though, of the causative factors for this disease. What comes to my mind, considering that it’s mostly large breed dogs which seem to inherit this problem genetically: I think of any number of strapping, healthy young athletes that drop dead suddenly on their playing field/ court. Only then is it discovered they had a type of cardiomyopathy. Could it be the rapidness with which they reach their size/weight, putting an overwhelming burden on what should be adequate nutritional intake- in dogs, as well?

Who else would fund university research studies (@100s of $1000) on canine nutrition than pet food companies (the government, breed associations, AVMA, pet owners)?  If we do not accept the validity of peer reviewed studies based upon them being funded by pet food companies we would have no university research on this subject.  The key is the journal in which the studies are published and that journal’s peer review process.

If anyone is interested I can summarize what I learned in a graduate level class I took on writing research grant proposals and preparing the budget for a proposal.  Here is a teaser: the university takes >50% of the grant funding off the top (tufts “overhead rate” is currently 65%) and you can’t increase your salary with a grant.  It’s hard to be a paid shill when grant money goes to the university and they distribute it to the researcher.