BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
2bc4me

Underweight Dog

I think my 1 1/2 year old smooth coat bc Bard is too thin.  His hip bones are so prominent, they can be seen from a distance.    I have never had problems keeping weight on a dog before.  I am feeding him Acana.  I can get him to eat about 2 cups a day.  He is a very slow eater and gets distracted from eating easily.  I offer him food twice a day, as much as he wants for about 15 minutes each time.  He does not have parasites.  He is very active.  At what point do you get concerned about a dog being too lean?  What do you feed to help put weight on him?   B25ECE4C-215D-411C-8FF5-AEFFAEE52992.thumb.jpeg.e30f6f0cbf995fb375b0abd6df2f0e25.jpeg68DA038B-E875-4510-8CB5-948A85652D03.thumb.jpeg.58684453049ca2fa29d5e17c9986254f.jpeg

As long as he's active and not showing any signs of illness I think he's probably fine, especially given his age. At that age many healthy border collies are practically skeletal. I've had several like this and the only way I could've gotten them to eat more than they did would've been to force feed them. My ex in-laws used to panic over the 1st one but when I asked the vet he said he was fine.

The weight score charts the vets use really aren't accurate for young border collies and some other breeds, notably sighthounds. :rolleyes:

No advice on feeding, but I had to comment that you are obviously a person of exquisite taste - you have the same style cover over your heater vent as I have, as well as having a border collie.:D

Agree withe GentleLake - I think he looks great.  He will likely fill out a bit as he matures.

Gorgeous dog!  Enjoy!

Amy

I agree also. He looks fine to me, and if he is healthy he will eat what he needs. These dogs always fill out a bit as they mature, but you want him to stay slim.

Thanks for the responses.  Maybe my other bcs had a coats long enough that I did not notice exactly how thin they were.  I will give him more time to mature.  He cannot be starving because he leaves food in his bowl.