BC Boards

First Christmas!

Any tips? Suggestions? Horror stories?

Our day to day routine won't change much over Christmas (no visitors or crazy big meals) so the biggest challenge will be the extra 'stuff'.

I thought we'd put the Christmas tree up in stages, first the tree on it's own for a few days, then if all okay the lights, then if still okay the baubles. That way if he can't keep his paws off it (open plan house so no option to shut the tree in a different room) at least we'll know before it's connected to the mains and covered in delicate decorations. Presents? Think I'll avoid leaving presents within his reach, I don't think he'd be able to resist the temptation of a wrapped parcel.

Anything else I should think about?

Watch the tinsel and that long, thin ribbon; two things I would make sure a pup doesn’t get into. Intestinal obstruction is bad enough, but stringy items that could be ingested are particularly dangerous. 

Watch the tin foil. In my experience, there is a lot of tin foil floating around during the holidays. If you discard foil that was used to wrap leftovers, the scent left on the foil (for example greasy turkey breast/skin) is a powerful draw to a pup that might think a trash can raid is in order.

An ex-pen (for the tree) is a good idea for keeping the tree cordoned off from all but the most determined pups.

For the ball obsessed, thin glass ornaments could pose a problem.

2 minutes ago, terrecar said:

If you discard foil that was used to wrap leftovers, the scent left on the foil (for example greasy turkey breast/skin) is a powerful draw to a pup that might think a trash can raid is in order.

This! Along the same line of thought, plastic  with the scent of food or the plastic bags people often cook turkeys in. These can be very dangerous and tempting to a dog. And of course bones from dinner. 

Thank-you! Yes I'll make sure to discard food wrappings securely.

10 minutes ago, terrecar said:

For the ball obsessed, thin glass ornaments could pose a problem.

I never even thought about baubles looking like balls! That could be our biggest challenge. It might be a bauble free tree this year :)

When I had 3 dogs, very attractive leftovers that weren't human-intended, and thus in the refrigerator, got wrapped up and taken to the outside garbage bin as part of clean up after the meal. 

And keep things pushed well from the counter edge. Butter was disappearing too quickly  and I walked into the kitchen to see Sam on her hind legs at the counter. She was just barely able to reach the butter with her tongue, but that's  all she needed.  Gone in 5 seconds.

You said you won't be having visitors, but if that changes, keep an eye on their interactions w/your dog. They might be sensible folk, they might not.

Have a nice Christmas  with your pup, there's lots to enjoy, as well!

Ruth & Gibbs

We decided no big tree this year, mainly due to the room it takes up. Harry is nearly 7 months old loves playing ball so there really isn’t enough room for both. I started putting up some lights around my lounge, Harry barked but has not bothered since. I bought a 3 ft tree with lights, put it on a small table behind Harry’s box of toys. I have only told him once to “leave it” when he went near the tree and he has not gone near it again.

6 hours ago, Debbie rollins said:

I have jinxy who is now 6 months, I have put up 2 trees with baubles lights etc no tinsel, she lay and watched the entire procedure and so far hasn’t attempted to go near it she sits in front of it looking at the flashing lights no problem so far 

Ooh that is vey positive.

We have the tree up. Only the tree, no lights or baubles yet. Being the clever dog he is, he mostly ignores it. Unless he wants our attention, then he siddles up to it and gently starts chewing it while watching us out the corner of his eye :rolleyes:.

I think he's going to be okay though, it was left untouched overnight (no-one available to offer distractions and attention so no point going near it). Lights will go on tomorrow.

1 hour ago, jami74 said:

Ooh that is vey positive.

We have the tree up. Only the tree, no lights or baubles yet. Being the clever dog he is, he mostly ignores it. Unless he wants our attention, then he siddles up to it and gently starts chewing it while watching us out the corner of his eye :rolleyes:.

I think he's going to be okay though, it was left untouched overnight (no-one available to offer distractions and attention so no point going near it). Lights will go on tomorrow.

Maybe you can give me some tips on my cat. I brought a kitten home from the shelter a couple of years ago. She’s lovely, but I haven’t been brave enough to get a tree since.

1 hour ago, terrecar said:

Maybe you can give me some tips on my cat. I brought a kitten home from the shelter a couple of years ago. She’s lovely, but I haven’t been brave enough to get a tree since.

:lol:

I think the first year we had our kitten we didn't have anything hanging  within read, so the bottom third of the tree was fairly bare, but I think she must have been okay after that. I expect we got her a couple of catnip mice to distract her. Now she's fairly old and just walks around looking disproving of everything.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:48 AM, GentleLake said:

Better than throwing them away would be to make bone broth from them. (Yes, you can make it from cooked bones too.) ;) Just be sure not to add onions when you're making the broth.

https://keepthetailwagging.com/bone-broth-recipe-for-dogs/

I hadn't thought of that! Thanks for the link. Looks like it would be good for my puppy and my fifteen year old BC as well.