BC Boards

old dog distibulitis?

neil

Our almost 11 year old female BC "ZZ" has been lethargic of and on for a couple days and is now doing some odd behavior. This morning after a normal walk she started to lower and turn her head to the left, came to me with a sad and confused look and flopped in my foot. She licked out the catfood can with vigor so I gave her her usual breakfst which she ate like a wolf. Still her behavior is very worrisome. I called the vet who said to check her ears, is her neck stiff, are her eyes normal and not moving rapidly side to side or wandering, etc. to indicate a possible stroke. She does have some mildly heavy and rapid breathing during the episode, but other than her tiredness and these symptoms she appears healthy and ok. No feaver, gumms are pink, eyes clear, appetite ok. No painfull spots on deep pressure examination all over her body and abdomen. Something is wrong and she is acting a bit confued. and out of it.

The vet said to bring her in tomorrow for a check out and maybe a neuological test for a brain tumor or lesion, or whatever. He also said there is a condition they call "old dog distibulitis", but I cannot find it in my dog book. Has anyone heard of this or had a similar experience?

Neil,

I've never heard of distibulitis. Is it possible that you missed heard what the vet said? Easy to do when your worried.

There is a condition of older dogs called cognitive dysfunction disorder. It's a dog version of being senile. Had a weimaraner that had it. She could be sharp as a tack one minute and the next minute couldn't find her way out of the room. It seemed to come and go.

She lived to the ripe old age of 3 months short of 16 years. It was something that we just worked around and lived with.

Let us know what happens at the vets