BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Michael Parkey

When to switch puppy to adult diet?

Hi everyone, I am new to the board and want to thank all of you for the great information here!

We have an 11 month old intact male puppy.  How much longer should we feed him puppy food?  If it matters, we plan to have him neutered or vasectomized at about 18 months.

Everyone has a different opinion on diet, but at least many people will tell you that there is no need to ever feed special "puppy food", and there is some evidence that in breeds prone to hip dysplasia, the faster growth rate that puppy chow is meant to promote actually increases the risk of hip problems.  All I can tell you from my own experience is that I have always fed my puppies "adult" dog food from the day they arrive (a couple as young as 8 weeks), and they've all been healthy, active, robust little buggers.  I wouldn't hesitate at all about switching an youngster that is nearly a year old to adult food.

Welcome to the Boards.

I feed raw but also don't feed puppies any differently than adults. You should be fine switching any time now.

Thank you!  I had found contradictory information on line (not surprising) and wondered if there is any breed-specific recommendation for border collies.  Sounds like I don't need to buy more puppy kibble after this bag runs out.

Neither one of my two dogs ever got fed puppy food, if you search these boards you will find a lot of people go straight to a good all ages food. I have now switched to a raw diet.