BC Boards

Not getting along with other dogs

Hi there, 

after some advice for our 16 month old female BC. I wrote on here a little while ago as Salty was getting nippy with other dogs down at the beach and it seems she has a strong predatory drive which we have been working on tirelessly!! 

She has been going really well and slowly losing interest in chasing things (bikes, joggers and cars) when we are out on our adventures and we have been able to shift her focus onto the ball which is really helpful but unfortunately she seems to be getting worse with interactions with other dogs. We are really limited with the places we can take her at the moment as she will often stalk small dogs on lead and the majority of the time with other dogs she tries to snap at them. We are trying to keep interactions short and sweet and the lead nice and loose but she is continually starting a tiff with other dogs and I'm worried. It's really stressful taking her out and about on walks and we aren't taking her to any beaches where there are other dogs until we can get his under control. She still gets along with dogs she has known since she was a puppy, this behaviour seems to be with unfamiliar dogs.

Does anyone have any advice that could help? She is a big sweetheart at home and doing really well at dog school on the weekends but when we are out walking she seems to take on a different personality. I am feeling a little disheartened as I love her a great deal and am trying to do the best I can for her.

Thanks in advance to anyone reading this

Claire and Salty x

I will try to keep you updated on my progress with Fern (see that thread). We did go to the park yesterday without incident, though most of the dogs there were her regular playmates. I am currently looking at how my behavior might be influencing hers, and seeing if a modification on my part will influence her possessiveness.

I have been reading the book Click to Calm (recommended on here in some other threads) and I have been trying to start using these methods to encourage calm behavior in response to exciting stimuli. From reading the book, it does sound like the methods could be very useful to your dog, as it is intended specifically for dealing with dog reactive/aggressive dogs.