BC Boards

Pregnant Dog

hammockchic

I have a 2 1/2 year old border collie. I took her to a reliable breeder but since she is such a timid house dog, the breeder didn't know if she caught or not. We noticed changes in her attitude about 2 weeks after she returned home. She has been home about 6-7 weeks. We think she is pregnant but she really isn't gaining weight (she has gained about 5 lbs). The only thing she wants to do is sleep all the time and now she doesn't seem to want to eat. Is this normal in a border collie pregnancy? Am I being over observent? Can anyone give me any pointers? Thanks in advance for any help!

MB

You could have her X-rayed after 45th day of the last mating.

It is actually the best thing you could do just in case if she took and she's with a small litter or one or two pups.

X-ray is perfectly safe for the pups and to their development.

As for sleeping alot,every bitch is different so it will be hard to say if it's normal.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

As far as her temp. goes, its pretty normal. She has gained some weight. She does drink more water thus she does urinate more. I also talked to someone today that told me that sometimes the dog won't really show that she is pregnant until right before she gives birth. She is still playful and very affectionate. Thanks for all responses!!

I had my dog bred when she was 2, and she just became lethargic, but didn't gain any weight until about 2 weeks before the pups were born, and then she looked like she swallowed a basketball. In the end she had 8 beautiful pups with no problems.

Every bitch will act differently for every pregnancy. Just like each human woman is different in her pregnancies. And each pregnancy can be different. Typically I have seen bitches lose their appetites and barely pick at their food and then the next day woof everything down. Or one day turn down their food, but want everything that you are eating.

Your girl is too far along to be palpated as that needs to be done at about 28-30 days. You might still be able to have her ultrasounded. But, otherwise like Inci suggested you can have her radiographed at about one week prior to her due date.

Good luck,

------------------

Kathy Flynn, CVT

Sogn Valley Farm and Border Collies

Cannon Falls, MN

507-263-4767