BC Boards

Available dog - potential herder

Guest Diane Allen

Guest Diane Allen

There is obviously a long story behind this, and I'm willing to share info with someone who might be truly interested.  But there is a almost-two-year old rescued BC in Phoenix who will be available for adoption soon through Arizona BC Rescue ( a FAB organization if anyone is looking for a pet, a sport dog, or at least in this case, a potential herding dog).   He came from ABCR initially as well.

I had the dog for about 1.5 yr.  Not long ago, he was exposed to sheep in a round pen for the first time.  The folks observing and working with him were very impressed.  (I don't know much about herding, so no personal comments from me!).  The expert there (not AKC or ASCA folks, but some you might even know) said that "with patient and consistent training, he could be a good herding dog." 

He has some quirks, none of which were deal-breakers for me.  However, he did not get along with my older male dog to the point that rehoming became the only option (PLEASE, no judgemental comments here please, I'm devastated enough as it is). However, he's getting along with the 3 male dogs (and 3 females!) in his foster home.  I would still recommend a home with only females; I don't think he'd be very happy being a solo dog - though with enough sheep time, he just might!

I'm not even sure how to PM anyone from this board, but I'm happy to answer any questions I can if someone can figure it out.

Thanks.

@diane allen, to PM someone you can either place your cursor over their user name or picture. A box will come up with an option at the bottom left to Message.

Or you can use the search function and choose Member Search. Type in the name and then follow the directions above.

There may be other ways, but these 2 I know work.

• 2 weeks later...