BC Boards

Quirky dogs

We all love our Border Collies, but they are each and every one of them unique and have their own special quirks.

So I thought I would ask - what is your dog's most amusing quirk?

This is my George.  He is an old soul, easily the most intelligent dog I have met.  Loving, calm, dignified and completely freaked out by flies.

Picture this very dignified dog fleeing, ears flat to skull, tail between his legs, into the farthest room in the house to hide.  Buzzing along behind him, bobbing up and down at waist height, is a tiny fly.  Fly was chasing dog.

We live in a country town in Australia, land of blow flies.  Summer is a trying time for poor George.  We always have a can of fly spray on hand.

686797780_image3.thumb.jpg.dfeca931cc36e83ceccac3b3885c4924.jpg

George is beautiful! I wonder what it is about flies that he hates so much, do you think he got stung or something once? Our boy was launching himself off the furniture when we had a fly trying to catch it.

His quirk is hiding things under the sofa. It's more annoying than amusing though as he'll then be digging and scratching at the underside of the sofa, I'm not sure if he's trying to shove it further under or retrieve it, but I have to get on the floor and stick my arm under to get the bone/toy back again. He also hides things down the side in a small gap between the end and the wall. Sometimes as he's hiding one item, he finds another that he hasn't seen for a while.

In fact, if anyone has any ideas how I can satisfy his need to bury or hide things indoors that would be great.

Lol - sofa hiding is a classic attention seeking doggie thing! Our last dog did it when we were quietly watching TV and our 7 month pup now does it when he’s tired and cranky. As soon as he does it we know it’s crate time haha! 

His ‘thing’ at the moment is bringing in ice from the yard and taking it to his bed. We are having to limit it though or he would be in and out ALL DAY! 

On 11/19/2018 at 9:45 PM, Lawgirl said:

We all love our Border Collies, but they are each and every one of them unique and have their own special quirks.

So I thought I would ask - what is your dog's most amusing quirk?

This is my George.  He is an old soul, easily the most intelligent dog I have met.  Loving, calm, dignified and completely freaked out by flies.

Picture this very dignified dog fleeing, ears flat to skull, tail between his legs, into the farthest room in the house to hide.  Buzzing along behind him, bobbing up and down at waist height, is a tiny fly.  Fly was chasing dog.

We live in a country town in Australia, land of blow flies.  Summer is a trying time for poor George.  We always have a can of fly spray on hand.

686797780_image3.thumb.jpg.dfeca931cc36e83ceccac3b3885c4924.jpg

My old Papillon also hates flies. If one gets in the house she disappears and hides.  Being old and losing her hearing has reduced her fear quite a bit because even if she heard a buzz she would hide.

In the garage, in a stored crate. Took me 20 minutes or so to find her. image.png.0d0c54a8d4ea0f23694fe59405f1f57a.png