BC Boards

Pro Heart 6

Sdeal03

I have decided to do some more looking into the pro heart 6 injection as being a possiable cause of my dogs illness. after talking to the vet I really like (and who did not administer the shot) he said he has seen some reactions similar to my dogs in other dogs just not occuring as late as my dogs. Faith has never been able to take the heartguard and apparantly that is something the vet administering the shot should have asked. talking to the university internal medicine doctor she said it is quite possiable for vaccine reactions to something like proheart to take 3 months to actually be really apparant....it's not something they are completely sure about though. I did look up the lable to the proheart online and it states that in 1% of they're test animals displayed similar symptoms and died...also it noted that one dog that was underweight died 3 months after recieving the shot. Faith has always been a skinny underweight dog...and that is something the vet is considering. She recieved the proheart shot about 4 months ago. (may 13) and afterwards there was some vomit, we had 3 dogs at the time and perhaps couldn't place which one had vomited and didn't pay much thought to it. there continued to be slight vomiting in the months following, nothing severe and again it wasn't known really which dog it was. We assumed it was the older sickly one sicne she vomited often...Now we're wondering if perhaps it was faith vomiting and it just progressed over the 2 months and reached it's peak in the 3-4 month. If anyone knows or can find me crediable evidence about the dangers of Proheart, Delayed vaccine reactions or perhaps the progression of vaccine reactions or anything else that could possiably be helpful either email me at sdeal2003@yahoo.com or post here. I do not want to assume it's the vaccine but if it was I want crediable evidence that my vet and the university doctor could look at to help us decide if it is possiable for this to be the cause. we have ruled out almost everything else and she continues to be sick. thank you very much for any help

~sara

I appreciate all the help we have been getting for this post.You see Sara's dog Faith is one of my offsprings 3 years ago and is sicker then what Sara puts on.Faith has been vomitting blood for quite some time and endoscopy shows many ulcers.She currently is very lethargic and survives on fluids.Through email from her, two of the vets don't question it is Proheart.After I posted her post on some egroups I got an email or so to discover there is 1600 cases of reactions-some fatal.!!! Sara and me will continue to appreciate any pertaining links and help to fight this dilemma(sp?).

Sue Barta

Hi,

I have a couple of dogs here that did the "proheart" thing (they weren't mine at the time). I was wondering if it can have any effect on their sight? Would affecting the sight in this particular dog be a CNS thing, he is an older dog and I've never noticed sight issues with him before.

Thanks.

Yes Kris, ProHeart shot can have CNS effect.When was the shot given,do you know? Usually the dogs affected react within the first month.The shot lasts 6 months so if the dog doesn't die but shows nasty signs-the signs will be there for 6 months until it wears off the chemical.Since the post I have gotten lots of links which anyone can get if they just search.Even the FDA side effects and research results are nasty.Through talk there is 1600 cases already.Some are fatal.I'll stick with my raw diet and natural ways thank you very much.

Sue Barta

I have several Border Collies and also work for a vet. My vet wants to push to Proheart 6, and I was really not keen on injecting something in to my dog that lasted for 6 months. So my vet had the rep come and give us a presentation, which sure she wants to sell her product, so of course to her it is the best, she had many good points, but I still had my doubts and was going to continue with my interceptor. Well my boss, pleaded and begged, and decided he would give me one treatment for each of my dogs, free. So I treated every dog with it. I have had no problems as of yet, they were treated in Aug. i did have one that had a small amount of swelling at the injection site, but a couple of days of massaging fixed that. We have given maybe 100 injections to several clients over the past several of month, from Chi's to collies and so on, and we have had no reactions in form, from any of them. I also babysit a 15 year old collie mix, she has kidney problems and a heart murmur, and thyroid. She is on medications and perscription foods for all these issues. She has had no problems. She is due for her 3rd injection in Oct. I will let you know if I have any problems or we have any problems from the clients. I hope your baby gets to feeling better.

------------------