BC Boards

Donald McCaig

cbranibar

It is with great sorrow our border collie community marks the passing of our dear friend, Donald McCaig, on November 12, 2018 at his home in Williamsville, VA. We spoke with Donald just last week and he was in great spirit expressing his regret at missing his friends at the fall sheepdog trials. His service will be at the Williamsville Presbyterian Church on Friday, November 16 at 11a.m. Sympathy may be expressed to his wife Anne McCaig, 10983 Cowpasture River Road S, Williamsville, VA  24487. Rest well, Donald. You have touched many with a life well lived.

Thank you, Cheryl, for sharing the sad news of Donald's passing.  The working Border Collie community has lost a dedicated advocate, and I am truly honored to have known him.   The photo below is of Donald working his dog at a training clinic with Patrick Shannahan in Maryland a few years ago.   Godspeed, Donald....you will be missed.

Patrick_and_Donald_at_Clinic_crop.thumb.jpg.510e1aba8038b71c41043a67c97e4460.jpg

Donald's passing is a loss to all of us.    He cared so much for his dogs and for the working border collie breed, and always went the extra mile trying to do right by them.  He was a unique, irreplaceable figure in the border collie world.  Rest in peace, Donald -- you will be missed, and remembered.    

Donald and I went head to head on many training topics on these boards, and his ultimate response to that was surprising to me.  He reached out and invited me to meet up with him.  We met, and talked, and became friends.

He was truly gracious and thoughtful.

He will be missed.

This is very sad news. Mr. McCaig was a great help to me on these boards with his explanations of sheepdog culture. Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men is my favorite of his books after Dog Wars. 

Local obituary here: https://www.obaughfuneralhome.com/notices/Donald-McCaig 

Of note, donations to a couple shelters requested lieu of flowers, etc.

I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with this. I'd always nurtured a pretty unrealistic hope that we'd cross paths in person again.

Maybe some day in that great pasture in the sky.

RIP, Donald.