BC Boards

Frightening intelligence

Jack is 21 weeks old.

Picture the scene - 6.30am, first coffee of the day, I'm sitting quietly in dim light, dressing gown, slippers, contemplating the day ahead.

Jack, ventures up onto the settee.  Not allowed, he knows this.  But he's rummaging through the detritus on my side table; pens and rubbers, post-its, scraps of newspaper and other stuff.  I say nothing, and  don't correct him as he is obviously looking for something in particular.  Interesting!  Seconds later, he noses papers out of his way and picks up his collar and presents it to me.  'Time to get dressed Boss, outs time..' I am stunned. He has already done first duties in the garden, but a walk is now expected.

Am I up to dealing with this kind of intelligence, I ask myself, can I cope with being controlled by a mere dog?  Hmmm...

And thanks for replies to the feeding quantities - I've got it sussed.  Perhaps I should ask the dog himself, he seems to have all the answers ha ha.

Our dog, Harry is almost 6 months old, he barks in the kitchen when he wants feeding, stands by the door and barks when he is ready to go for a walk. Up to a couple of weeks ago, when the clocks went back here in uk, he slept in his crate till after 6, now he gives low barks anytime from 4 am, he does not need to go outside, he just wants us to get up and play, we have ignored him and fingers crossed, he does go back to sleep. Yes, he is definitely trying to control us, but we have an upper hand as he hates going in the car so any mention of the word car or a rattle if the car keys and he will do anything to avoid going in the car.

We are still in charge, I think at the moment.

Mandy and Harry

3 hours ago, dumbbird7 said:

Am I up to dealing with this kind of intelligence, I ask myself, can I cope with being controlled by a mere dog?  Hmmm...

Ha! You are not dealing with a "mere" dog. You had to get yourself a bordercollie, you allready lost. Better accept it...:lol:

Yes Smalahundur it seems so.  I have always had BCs, and understand them well, at least I thought I did.  This Jack is a different kettle of fish altogether.  Sometimes he's quite still. Thinking.  Deliberating. Then without turning his head, his eyes are looking straight at me for an instant, then back again to straight ahead.   A deep thinker. A bit creepy to be honest. .  But still a little monkey when he can get away with things...

About this morning - he knew exactly what he was looking for, no hopes of a stray treat or something decent to try the new teeth on.  He was quite focused, and still not quite 5 months old.

The thing that has stunned us the most is the intuitive nature. Sure most dogs learn words, few learn body language, subtle nuances and the quiet observations. There are times I swear Jack is listening and learning. He picks up things we didn't realize he learned.

Its eerie at times.

They really are amazing dogs. Sometimes I think Jan can read my mind.

My tiny Chihuahua adores Jan and wants to follow her to the backyard in the morning. I want him to stay in the front yard, because, call me crazy, but I swear the two red-shouldered hawks that regularly survey my yard for rabbits have honed in on my rabbit-sized dog.

Jan will wait for him to finish his business and get back indoors before doing her morning laps. This isn’t something I consciously set out to train. I have asked her to “stay in the front” until I got him indoors, but now she watches and gives me an “all clear?” look when he is safe in the house. She just gets it.

8 hours ago, terrecar said:

...call me crazy, but I swear the two red-shouldered hawks that regularly survey my yard for rabbits have honed in on my rabbit-sized dog.

I wouldn't call that crazy at all. Hawks have been known to carry off teeny dogs. I pet sit 3 chis and have strict instructions -- which I always do anyway -- never to leave them outside unattended because of hawks.

It amazes me how many people have little tiny dogs that use a doggie door.  I know it's handy but I sure wouldn't risk it.

There was a case where a hawk tried to pick up a 25 pound French bulldog.   The dog got loose but he was really hurt.  It had these horrible deep lacerations. 

When I'm taking care of those little guys I always stay with them.

• 2 weeks later...