BC Boards

Playing fetch

There's nothing wrong with playing a reasonable amount of fetch with your dog, and there's no reason why she should become obsessed with it as long as you have some common sense about it. Don't leave balls lying around the house, and when you put the ball away, don't take it back out and start playing again, make it clear that when the ball gets put away the game is over. I throw frisbees for my dog regularly and she has never pestered me for more fetch or become obsessed with it. She knows that when the frisbee gets put away, it's time to go and do other things. 

Another thing that can be helpful for many dogs is when you're ready to end the game, give them a heads up by telling them "last one" right before you toss the last ball. When they return with the final tossed ball, I say "all done" to reinforce it. Most pick up on what it means quickly, and it really makes a difference in softening the disappointment when the game stops abruptly and, from their point of view, unpredictably. It also helps to establish that it's you, not the dog, who's in charge of the game.

^^^ This. Had 3 bc at the same time, all 3 went to a local dog park w/me daily for fetch and socialization w/people. They learned the above routine quickly and were good about heading for the car as soon as I told them 'All Done, Dinnertime!"

As long as you are consistently the one who begins and ends play sessions, it shouldn't be a problem.

Ruth & Gibbs

FWIW, I’m not a fan of playing much fetch with dogs under 1 y/o. They’re not well coordinated and their bones are still soft (break easier) 

My youngest BC broke a leg a 10 m/o when I let her play for “just a few catches”. Wind caught her toy, she did a crazy leap, and displaced fracture :( it was not fun and was quite expensive 

I agree with all of above haha! We play fetch with ours, we don’t over do it (we say ‘one more’ and ‘last one’), there’s a ‘that’ll do treat’ when the game is over, we do something else nice afterwards (even if it’s extra special hugs) and we vary the balls (sometimes we kick a softish soccer ball and sometimes we lob a tennis ball).

I also agree with avoiding them jumping high and landing funny so we throw low and play on soft grass :)

Fetch is great and there is no reason to avoid it at all. The thing is, you and only you must always control what toy is used, and when, where, and for how long the game is played. Don't play fetch with any toys that are left out for him to have. Choose only one toy that is used for fetch and only that toy; say only a ball or only a frisbee. Keep it shut away from him and you decide when to bring it out and play. If he asks you to throw something else, don't do it, and inform your guests and other members of your household to do the same. Consistency is vital here, and if others do not control the game as well it will not work and you may end up with a dog who brings everything under the sun to everyone and asks for it to be thrown. If you control the game you will have a lot of fun and so will your dog. This is coming from someone who had an obsessive fetcher for many years, my dog was very happy and we never had any problem with it.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:13 AM, GentleLake said:

Another thing that can be helpful for many dogs is when you're ready to end the game, give them a heads up by telling them "last one" right before you toss the last ball. When they return with the final tossed ball, I say "all done" to reinforce it. Most pick up on what it means quickly, and it really makes a difference in softening the disappointment when the game stops abruptly and, from their point of view, unpredictably. It also helps to establish that it's you, not the dog, who's in charge of the game.

"All done" works amazingly well for us. But only if I have control of the ball will he turn focus off it and become obedient. I struggle with "last one" as it seems to translate to my dog that he better keep that ball as he's not/never ready to quit fetch. One time he and I were about 10' away from the ball on opposite ends. As I walked up just a couple feet from the ball I made the mistake of giving "all done" and he swoopes in and gets the ball before I can. He keeps me on my toes.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:01 PM, Flystuff53 said:

I've read in a few posts that it's not a great idea to play fetch consistently with BC'S

My 7 month old loves playing, she has three balls we play with.

Any comments are appreciated 

I've been playing fetch with my oldest Border Collie, Dean Dog, since we adopted him at 10 months old.

He is going to be 13 in February and we still go outside every day and we play fetch.  These days I have to watch that he doesn't try to jump up into the air, so I roll a plastic ring across the yard, and he chases it, grabs it, and brings it back.  At this point in his life, I don't do a whole lot of "throws", but we still play every day unless it is pouring rain or icy.

It hasn't caused him any harm yet.

- Kristine and Dean Dog

Oh, the picture below is not my old boy, but my younger boy, Bandit.  He loves to run after the rolling rings, too, and bring them back.

20180612_141210(0).jpg