BC Boards

Dirty eyes

dumbbird7

Jack, at 19 weeks old, has a problem with 'eye gunge'. I am forever wiping the greenish stuff away.  The eyes themselves are clear, pup is in excellent health and growing like Topsy, I think he'll turn out to be a long lean lad like his dad.  Can anyone say whether this is a common problem in collies, and whether he will grow out of it.  My old collie, now 14, always had clean eyes.  No smoking or dust in the environment here either.

I don't know if it's common or not. None of my dogs until Gibbs has had eye issues. Is he wiping at his eyes with his front legs, or rubbing his eyes on the carpet or along the sides of furniture? That's what brought Gibbs' eye issues to my attention.

If he's not doing those things, I'd wait it out, maybe check with the vet at his next visit.

Ruth & Gibbs

I don't know if it's common either. I've never had a major issue with it other than the odd eye infection brought in by fosters and easily cleared up until one of my current dogs. His eyes get goopy pretty often and the sclera's often red, though not as bad as they used to be. I've assumed perhaps allergies.

Alternating dilute tinctures of goldenseal and eyebright have helped a lot. I use Halo's Herbal Eye Wash https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Purely-Pets-Cloud-Herbal/dp/B01N0KDFZ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540829408&sr=8-3&keywords=halo+eye+wash Not sure of availability where you are, though the brand name wouldn't be crucial.

Greenish stuff suggests  infection even without sclera redness. The eye infections my dogs have had previously usually didn't cause red sclera, and I was able to clear them with the tinctures. If you go this route and it doesn't work, then I'd consult a vet.

Hope this is minor, or better yet, nothing at all.