Jump to content
BC Boards
NW_MONTANA_BC

Can we talk testicles

Recommended Posts

At 20 weeks old Tuckers testicles have not drop down yet. Is this something to be worried about or is this normal in a Border Collie? I have been reading some about this, but not specific to BC's, and it seems like everyone is saying they should have dropped down by now. I have read it is dangerist for a dogs testicles to stay up so long. I don't know but it has me worried. I was not going to have him neutered until he was much older but now I am not sure what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it is unusual at this age. Do you know if there's a family history of this? There are some herbs you can try but with neither down I'm inclined to think they won't help. Have you spoken to the breeder? Were they down when you bought him? You could try an US and see exactly where they are too.  As for surgery, yes, they'll need to be surgically removed probably soon than you anticipated. Speak to your vet though you may be able to wait till he's closer to 2. It's a hard spot to be in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. Definitely should have dropped by now. At this point, the canal through which they descend has probably closed small enough that they can not fit through - therefore herbs, etc. will not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Journey said:

Yes, it is unusual at this age. Do you know if there's a family history of this? There are some herbs you can try but with neither down I'm inclined to think they won't help. Have you spoken to the breeder? Were they down when you bought him? You could try an US and see exactly where they are too.  As for surgery, yes, they'll need to be surgically removed probably soon than you anticipated. Speak to your vet though you may be able to wait till he's closer to 2. It's a hard spot to be in. 

I do not know if there is a family history of this with Tucker. I got him at 6 weeks old but I don't really recall but I think not. What is a US? I have not talked with the breeder though I was planning too because I still have not received his ABCA Papers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US - Ultra Sound. I'd speak to the breeder regardless as soon as possible, this is heritable, though could be a one of as well. It's thought that it comes down from the bitch side. You should've had the papers by now as well. With no history to go on the breeder is your first stop. Then the stud dog owner. Did he come with any health guarantee? Any contract? Spoken or verbal. Where'd he come from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gah....some things you can't un-see..

 

Supposedly they come with a health guarantee, whatever that means, and they're on a spay/neuter agreement. So kinda looks like a moot point. However, the surgery is going to be vastly more with neither descending than a regular neuter. Good luck..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NW_MONTANA_BC said:

Here is his guarantee. Of corse I don not know if it covers testicles? 

Does it really matter? It looks like they just give you a new puppy if the original one is 'defective' :( 

If they don't drop it'll just be a bigger more expensive operation I imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guarantee is worthless. I'd be getting quotes on the surgery and giving them to the breeder. They should cover whatever beyond a regular neuter surgery is. 

Did you take him in within the 72 hours of purchase? Is it notated by your vet? Has the breeder previously been made aware of this when he was younger? This is genetic, doesn't matter in this case from where since dog and bitch are owned by the same party. I'd be speaking to her today..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Journey said:

The guarantee is worthless. I'd be getting quotes on the surgery and giving them to the breeder. They should cover whatever beyond a regular neuter surgery is. 

Did you take him in within the 72 hours of purchase? Is it notated by your vet? Has the breeder previously been made aware of this when he was younger? This is genetic, doesn't matter in this case from where since dog and bitch are owned by the same party. I'd be speaking to her today..

I did take him in to see a vet within 72 hours and it is all documented with her. At six weeks old he did not find this. Tucker has been back to the vet several times with no mention of it. I sent her an e-mail and will follow up with a phone call tomorrow .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our puppy is 22 weeks and I have only just found his testicles this week. At first I could only feel one but on feeling around whilst he was on his back fast asleep I felt the other. They are only the size of small marbles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ShellyF said:

I would never have known if my guy had them or not if the vet hadn’t confirmed. Our vet checked every time he went in for his vaccinations. 

I wonder if mine did. He never mentioned it to me or did I see it on his written report. Hmmmm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, Journey said:

Gah....some things you can't un-see..

 

Supposedly they come with a health guarantee, whatever that means, and they're on a spay/neuter agreement. So kinda looks like a moot point. However, the surgery is going to be vastly more with neither descending than a regular neuter. Good luck..

I take it you were not very impressed at what you saw on that site. I haven't been either. She had at least 8 litters of puppies in a 2 week period. And I really don't like all the colorings of the pups. She been on the number one and two spot of the high breeder list for a few years now. Never again will consider buying a pup there again.

She did return my e-mail saying that Tucker had 2 dropped testicles when she had the pup at the vet prior to me buying him. I don't no how you could tell at 5 or 6 weeks old. Well this is her statement

When Tucker went to my vet and had his shots, both of his testicles were there. Sometimes with male puppies, they can get sucked back up in the cavity, which is out of my control. It has happened before and then later they come back down. Sometimes they don't. 
When your vet neuters him, he will be able to find the testicles and take them out, if they haven't dropped back down by then. That will prevent any health issues down the road. 
 
The papers were sent in to the ABCA last week (I register the pups after the litter is all sold and in their new homes), His last sibling left a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as I got his new name from his owners, the litter was sent in. So as soon as the ABCA sends the registration papers back to me, I will send them right out. This new secretary is very slow. Sometimes she takes 6-8 weeks to get papers back. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, the new secretary isn't new and isn't slow at all, your breeder sucks and she's a puppy mill.

If you have documentation, from the visit within 72 hours of purchase, show her and ask for proof from her end. After that, good luck. You've nothing really to stand on..buyer beware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Journey for telling it like it is. I've learned a lesson here. I have the documentation from my 72 hour visit but I am not sure its worth the hassle. I would rather get the word out to stay away, far away from this breeder. In the mean time I will get an appointment with the vet and take care of what I have to, and then  provide Tucker with the best possible home and life I possibly can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree w/ Journey. (Edited to reflect another post coming in while I was writing.)

I was just getting ready to write that you should demand written documentation to that effect for your specific puppy from her vet.

Bet she won't be able to produce it.

I would also ask your vet for a letter stating whether or not s/he detected descended testicles at any of the exams s/he performed on your pup.

I'm not aware of testicles going back up, but I'm not a vet or vet tech. Testicles should be down by 6 or 7 months at the latest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tucker already has a good home, we know that! Sorry about the bluntness, it's the truth. It may not be worth the hassle, get a quote, then decide. Two undescended is not normal nor an easy surgery. That said, getting the word out is useless, sorry, another truth. Too many people out there...

I'd personally go after her, but that's just me. Vet documents, genetic, she has no proof...cost, see what the cost really will be and give it to her. When folks buy and walk away it makes it easier for the next victim to be taken, jmo.

He's young, you can wait, a bit. Maybe at 15 months or when his growth plates have closed (get an x-ray to be positive) don't believe it w/o seeing it!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Journey said:

I'd personally go after her, but that's just me. Vet documents, genetic, she has no proof...cost, see what the cost really will be and give it to her. When folks buy and walk away it makes it easier for the next victim to be taken, jmo.

Not just you, Journey. I feel the same way. I hate letting people get off with this kind of crap without at least trying to make them face up to their responsibility.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear of the trouble you are having. The thread inspired me to check my soon to be 6 month old last night. He lay on his back for a tummy rub and I took the chance for a feel. Yes!! two small but in the right place testicles. He has a scheduled vet check tomorrow so will get a double check. Hope all comes out well for you.

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From that email, it doesn’t sound like she’s interested at all in helping you with this, if indeed his testicles are retained, and don’t come down. Unfortunately, I don’t know what you can do about it, if she is unwilling to compensate you, if you have to spend extra for the more invasive surgery.

As far as her slowness to get the ABCA papers to you, her explanation is very logical, and is what I dealt with when getting my dog’s papers-she was 7 months old before I got them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just FYI, I've had two cryptorchid males. I waited until they were 2 years old before having them neutered. The biggest risk to retained testicles is undetected testicular cancer, which is unlikely in a young dog. There should be no harm in waiting till his growth plates have closed before neutering.

J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...