BC Boards

Recommended joint supplements

jfaircloth

Hi, everyone-

Our 11-year-old Gomer is starting to show his age, and gets stiff and has trouble sitting for about a day after he's done any vigorous exercise. Our vet is recommending putting him on a joint supplement that combines glucosamine, Omegas, and Vitamin E. Does anyone have any recommendations for this type of supplement or something similar? There are so many out there!

Thank you!

My older guy (~13) isn't showing any signs of arthritis so I only give him green lipped mussels and Omega 3s at the moment.

I know a lot of folks who use one of the Glycoflex formulas. Not sure if it contains Omega 3 but that could be easily added separately if not.

Wishing him the best.

I had my Jester on Dasuquin and then tried glycoflex as well. I never did see any improvement with the use of those. Of course, they may have helped and I did not see it, but one can usually tell by the way the dog moves if it is working or not. Not trying to say these are not good things to use, as I know others have had good results. Just saying for some dogs it doesn't seem to help. Don't know why.

My now-12.5 yr old border collie has bad hips, dx at age 1+ yr.  Vet recommended a joint supplement early on.  Dog's had a VERY successful agility career - I kept him thin, in good physical condition, and he gets excellent vet care.  During a bout of shoulder problems (dx and repaired), my rehab vet recommended alternating Cosequin DS (which he'd been getting for awhile) with Platinum Performance CJ, switching every six months or so.  I did that for a few year, but anecdotally, decided that he did better on the PP.    So - it may depend completely on the individual dog, his diet, his exercise, etc. etc.  So don't try one bottle of something and decide it doesn't work.

He gets that, plus fish oil, and a few other things - but I would prefer to add those things separately, than trying to find something that included everything.

Good luck!

diane

I had been using Dasuquin + MSM for about 8 years for one dog that had shoulder surgery at 3 years of age. Recommended by rehab vet. Since he was never lame or stiff, I couldn't tell if it was working, but just continued giving it to him under the belief that it wasn't hurting, but hopefully helping.

Recently, my chiro vet suggested switching to Platinum Performance CJ because she considers it better than Dasuquin. Now that he is over 11 years old, he is slowing. The PP CJ may have improved mobility slightly, or it may be wishful thinking on my part.

Another product is 1TDC - which is heavily marketed in the agility world and has testimonials from some top competitors (and in my cynicism, I am sure they are compensated for promoting the product).

Thanks, everyone! We’re starting a 30-day trial of Glycoflex. It doesn’t have Omegas but he already gets them in his food. I will heed the advice to keep experimenting until we find something that works. In the meantime, he does think those Glycoflex chews are super yummy!

My 12 year old Border has had clicky joints since 7 months of age.  He has always been on Glycoflex and is now on Glycoflex III.  A year ago I started him on a product called Movoflex.  It has hyaluronic acid in it, egg shell membrane and boswellia.  I did notice a definite improvement after 1-2 weeks.  He also gets a fish oil supplement.   I do think different dogs respond to different products so you may need to switch around until you find what works for him.  Some really improve on Adequan injections.