BC Boards

4 Month Old

Happydays

I have a border collie puppy who is 4 months old.  I work from home so the dog has a routine that we go for a walk in the morning, come home have breakfast then I take him out for a potty break when I put him in the crate for about 2 hours until I take a break when I take him out potty we play a little fetch and do some training we repeat this until around 4pm in the afternoon when I am done work.  The issue is at night my husband and I have a different opinion on the dog being in the crate/play area.  My puppy has trouble relaxing.  I am trying to teach him to relax and I let him out but he can only handle a small amount of time before he starts to find trouble.  I redirect him but if he continues the behavior I just remove him and put him in his smaller play area that has his crate in it.  When he is in his area he starts to settle down and chews his bone.    My husband says I am wrong that he should be allowed to stay out of his pen and that I am not teaching him how to relax and I am using his pen incorrectly.   I do not believe that I am because I think he needs that time in a smaller area to unwind.  As he gets older and learns how to calm down his environment will expand with his good behavior.  He is doing very well with training and goes to the training center.  I find it unproductive to put the puppy in a situation that gives him an opportunity to get into trouble,