BC Boards

Lead training

My BC pup is 17 weeks old.  He sits on command but is ready to get up again almost immediately.  Same with stay.  Lead training is becoming difficult as he is so absolutely fascinated by the world around him, he has to rush off and deal with it.  He'll walk well by my side then begin pulling to reach the next clump of grass, or fluttering leaf. I stop, tell him to sit. He does. Has a little treat, Good Boy.  Off we go again, quietly, but within 4 or 5 steps, he's pulling again.  My left arm is quite long now. We do this lead exercise twice a day, but I may be doing it incorrectly.  I taught Old Dog by the distancing method and it was much easier, for his first 2 years. He's been my next of kin for 14 long years, my beautiful boy. I always took the lead, through gates and along paths.  Trouble is, he still waits at the end of a narrow path or when coming to a gate, for The Boss to go first and said Boss has to climb over large elderly collie to exit  path, or get gate opened. He's holding up his end of the bargain, I must do the same, it's only fair.

Daily, pup  has half hour off lead rushing around in the orchard, walking home on lead in the lanes, all told 45 minutes.  Afternoon it's an hour or so with old dog in the forest off lead meeting others. Ten minute outs before bedtime.  Can anyone advise this lead problem please.

Hi there....you have put this question in the wrong place to get the answers you want. this particular area on the forum is for people who are training in specific obedience, agility, and flyball. Putting your question in the General Border Collie Discussion will get you more replies.

I will say that your puppy is still too young for you to be all that concerned that he is not doing everything you want. Just be patient and persistent. My method when the dog pulls on lead is to turn abruptly and go in the other direction.  Repeat 1,000 times. This may mean your whole walk for however long it takes is simply going in circles, and if so, that is fine. I have found that method works better than having the dog sit, but others will have suggestions as well if you post your question in the General section.

Thanks for this D'Elle  didn;t see that it was in the wrong section.  Dumbbird indeed..  Anyhow it;s the answer I was looking for.  We're making slow but stesady progress in other things so I'll stop expecting miracles on the lead for now;  sometimes I forget he's still only a baby, bless his little cotton socks.

Yes, I also do the same with my 5 month old pup. We did attend puppy classes where he did learn to walk well with a lead. Like you any  leaf, bib of a car horn, dog bark or motor bike and he is off as fast as he can. We just stop, turn around, go a couple of paces, then carry on. I also say walk slowly which he seems to understand.