BC Boards

My puppy has lost patches of hair on eye lids

Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that my nearly 5 month old pup has just developed a small bald strip on one eye lid and a small bald spot above the other eye. The exposed skin isn't red or inflamed but the patches must have developed almost overnight as I have only just noticed them.

My google research has me thinking it could be demodectic mange, but I really have no idea. He seems to be scratching slightly more than usual, but not scratching or rubbing his face. Other than that, he seems to be completely unconcerned.

My question is, should I be getting in to see my vet ASAP or is it likely something I can monitor for a while to see if it gets worse. Winston is booked in to see the vet in 2 weeks time so I could have it checked then.

Sorry, he is my first dog and I have no experience with this sort of thing - I have never heard of puppies losing patches of hair before! 

Would appreciate any opinions. Thanks!

Young, growing dogs can have little patches like that.  The stress of growing lets the demodectic mange mites that all dogs carry cause some problems .  Spots are often around the eyes, or on feet and legs.  It usually resolves by itself in about 6 weeks.  The meds take for parasites often clear it up.

I would ck with your vet so she can do a scaping to be sure that is what it is.   And as long as it does not spread too far I would just watch it.  Several of my young dogs have had that stuff.

Your vet can tell you what to watch for.