BC Boards

Dog Daycare: do you/would you do this?

Do any of you use dog daycares for your border collies? I've worked at dog kennels and from my experiences with the daycares, I always said I wouldn't trust them enough to leave my dogs. However, Lottie is very shy despite having been socialized quite a bit. We have taken her almost everywhere with us since we got her, she has been around crowds, etc., but she just seems to get more anxious and shy the older she gets. We've had her try to nip a couple times recently.

After a vet exam didn't go so well, they suggested I let her come to their daycare. They said they start out slow, get her used to the people first, and then introduce one dog her size with a good temperament, and then more dogs, etc. until she is comfortable with the staff and dogs there. I can see the benefit of that experience, but I also worry about leaving her! Especially since she is such an anxious dog, I worry it might do more harm than good. Does anyone have experience with sending an anxious border collie to daycare? 

Thanks!

In my opinion, I think it's a bad idea..heres why:

It's not in a training session setting . Forcing a dog over their threshold without any official training going on can lead to fear aggression and can cause issues of left unchecked. It can make your dog more fearful as they have no control over their situation and there is no escape.

I've seen normal dogs come out of daycare with unacceptable and rough play that has caused major issues at home or around other dogs since no one is there to usually intervene on these behaviors.

I also feel being an anxious dog, just being kennels and all the noise may be highly overwelming

21 minutes ago, reploidphoenix said:

In my opinion, I think it's a bad idea..heres why:

It's not in a training session setting . Forcing a dog over their threshold without any official training going on can lead to fear aggression and can cause issues of left unchecked. It can make your dog more fearful as they have no control over their situation and there is no escape.

I've seen normal dogs come out of daycare with unacceptable and rough play that has caused major issues at home or around other dogs since no one is there to usually intervene on these behaviors.

I also feel being an anxious dog, just being kennels and all the noise may be highly overwelming

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about! Having worked at kennels, I know most of the employees (if not all! ;) ) are not qualified to train dogs or know the best way to handle situations with dogs. Especially in my area, the Cesar Millan method is popular. (You have to be the alpha, etc.) Many of the people I've worked with have done more damage than good when working with dogs.

I think with Lottie, a day away from anything familiar might be traumatic for her. And I don't like the idea of her being with other dogs without me there to supervise. 

She could surprise me and do great and it might do wonders for her shyness. However, I'm afraid the risks outweigh the potential benefits. I just wanted to get the opinions of people on here who are more experienced with dogs than I am! 

I had a super shy dog and day care would have been a disaster. It was a delicate balance of following my guy's lead, not pushing him too fast, being patient, positive and persistent to encourage him out of his comfort zone.

Learn her cues for when she is intimidated or intrigued. For instance, my guy got way more nervous if people approached him slowly. Ignoring him worked best tho he was still aloof with people he didn't know well. Things like that can be very helpful navigating with a shy or fearful dog.

Look for activities she loves that build her confidence. My dog didn't enjoy obedience enough to relax in public  but loved agility enough to grow in confidence and earn several titles. He also benefited when I got a puppy he fell in love with and finally had a dog to play with. He never played with any other dog. I didn't do clicker back then but think that would have been very helpful.

It can be incredibly rewarding and touching to see a shy dog come out of their shell. Just don't try to rush them and always accept them the wonderful dog they are, quirks and all. Rory was shy his whole life, but he faced a big scary world with a bravery all his own.   I learned so much from him and still miss him 14 years after losing him.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, Shetlander said:

I had a super shy dog and day care would have been a disaster. It was a delicate balance of following my guy's lead, not pushing him too fast, being patient, positive and persistent to encourage him out of his comfort zone.

Learn her cues for when she is intimidated or intrigued. For instance, my guy got way more nervous if people approached him slowly. Ignoring him worked best tho he was still aloof with people he didn't know well. Things like that can be very helpful navigating with a shy or fearful dog.

Look for activities she loves that build her confidence. My dog didn't enjoy obedience enough to relax in public  but loved agility enough to grow in confidence and earn several titles. He also benefited when I got a puppy he fell in love with and finally had a dog to play with. He never played with any other dog. I didn't do clicker back then but think that would have been very helpful.

It can be incredibly rewarding and touching to see a shy dog come out of their shell. Just don't try to rush them and always accept them the wonderful dog they are, quirks and all. Rory was shy his whole life, but he faced a big scary world with a bravery all his own.   I learned so much from him and still miss him 14 years after losing him.

Good luck!

Thanks! I have noticed some things make her more nervous than others--for example when people look her in the eye when they approach. She will go up to someone and sniff them if they are ignoring her, but if they are looking at her then forget it! 

She graduated from a puppy kindergarten class a few weeks ago and this week we are starting another class. I do hope to get her started in agility once she is old enough and I'm considering trying scent work because she has a great nose and that's something we could do now even though she is young. I wish I could get her another dog! I really think it would help her, but my fiancé is a little bit in shock from her I'm afraid and looks a little panicked when I mention another dog! ;) (He's more of a cat person and his previous dogs have been lazy hound mixes!) 

I love your last paragraph. Lottie is definitely a quirky dog and she is wonderful! I'm proud of her for how far she has come and how much she has grown up in the last few weeks especially. I'm okay with her being shy and I'll make sure she doesn't have to get forced into anything, but I would like to bring her anxiety level down for her sake. 

@Lenie I found a place that does group day training! she goes with 5 other dogs in like a day care setting but they work with all the dogs on different things. Ellies trainer works with her on her confidence in new settings and helps her learn to interact with other dogs with out going over threshold.

They describe it better then I do !

Group Day Training - This enrichment program for dogs provides a controlled group for your dog to learn and play in. Offered Mon – Thus and ran by one of Noble Beast professional trainers, your dog will be able to practice proper dog/dog social skills, work on confidence building, body awareness, and basic obedience commands. Great for all kinds of dogs, but especially those impressionable puppies and teenage dogs!