BC Boards

ISO ABCA pup

My first post here.

I'm looking for my next border collie for wilderness adventures but I'm struggling to find a good breeder with pups available in the next 2-6 months.  I've read and searched everything I can find but the process is remarkably opaque and frustrating.  So I'm just putting out what I'm looking for, in hopes of using this network to get in touch with breeders with pups available in a few months. 

A few notes.  I don't want a rescue this time around.  Yes, I've had border collies before, Essie 1987-2002 and I just lost my dear boy Zorba 2001-2018 (see pic); I am committed to the breed and want to support the real deal breeders with working dogs.  Also, I am planning to go to some trials to meet handlers/breeders, but there's nothing in the region for a while, so this post is a parallel strategy, but not my only one.

I don't have stock and don't do trials or dog sports.  Rather, my next border collie will be my companion for long remote off-trail backpacking trips and other wilderness adventures. The main traits I'm looking for are exceptional problem solving skills to figure out paths through talus, deadfall, snowfields, etc as well as the endurance to hike for days on end in rough terrain and all weather.  I need a dog who is biddable for a huge variety of tasks like getting into the loaded canoe on a river without tipping it over, not walking on the ski trails, shaking off in a downpour before getting into the tent, etc etc. 

Ideally, I want a young pup (~8 weeks) who will be on the smaller side when grown (<40 lbs).  All things being equal, I'd prefer a female this time.  I don't want to breed the pup, but I'd like to see pedigrees, OFA, BAER, and DNA checks on the sire and dam (and I'm more than happy to pay a fair price to a responsible breeder who does these health checks).  I don't care a whit about the latest fashionable color (and can't believe what I see out there... really?! yikes!).  I live near Boulder, CO, but am willing to drive a day (500 miles) to meet the breeder and see the sire & dam and then again to pick up the pup.

Thanks for any leads!  (PM if you want)

Cathy

P1010630.jpg

13 hours ago, Abroz said:

My first post here.

I'm looking for my next border collie for wilderness adventures but I'm struggling to find a good breeder with pups available in the next 2-6 months.  I've read and searched everything I can find but the process is remarkably opaque and frustrating.  So I'm just putting out what I'm looking for, in hopes of using this network to get in touch with breeders with pups available in a few months. 

A few notes.  I don't want a rescue this time around.  Yes, I've had border collies before, Essie 1987-2002 and I just lost my dear boy Zorba 2001-2018 (see pic); I am committed to the breed and want to support the real deal breeders with working dogs.  Also, I am planning to go to some trials to meet handlers/breeders, but there's nothing in the region for a while, so this post is a parallel strategy, but not my only one.

I don't have stock and don't do trials or dog sports.  Rather, my next border collie will be my companion for long remote off-trail backpacking trips and other wilderness adventures. The main traits I'm looking for are exceptional problem solving skills to figure out paths through talus, deadfall, snowfields, etc as well as the endurance to hike for days on end in rough terrain and all weather.  I need a dog who is biddable for a huge variety of tasks like getting into the loaded canoe on a river without tipping it over, not walking on the ski trails, shaking off in a downpour before getting into the tent, etc etc. 

Ideally, I want a young pup (~8 weeks) who will be on the smaller side when grown (<40 lbs).  All things being equal, I'd prefer a female this time.  I don't want to breed the pup, but I'd like to see pedigrees, OFA, BAER, and DNA checks on the sire and dam (and I'm more than happy to pay a fair price to a responsible breeder who does these health checks).  I don't care a whit about the latest fashionable color (and can't believe what I see out there... really?! yikes!).  I live near Boulder, CO, but am willing to drive a day (500 miles) to meet the breeder and see the sire & dam and then again to pick up the pup.

Thanks for any leads!  (PM if you want)

Cathy

P1010630.jpg

Where are you based?

HI Cathy,

You're in a working border collie-rich area!

There's a USBCHA-sanctioned trial in Colorado Springs on Oct 27-29.  Lise Andersen is the host, contact her at tabletopsdt@gmail.com.  Lots of good handlers from the region and beyond should be there.

You might also check out the Moutain & Plains Border Collie Association at http://www.runagroundranch.com/about-runaground-ranch/membership-processing-procedures-2/.  Getting out there and meeting trialing folks, even though you have no plans to trial, is the very best way to find out about working-bred litters, plus you usually get to see the parents as well.

Good luck, and keep us posted.