BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
highway61

Therapy dogs can spread superbugs to kids, hospital finds

Well, I can see this getting blown all out of proportion.

As I was reading it I was initially thinking that it's already well established that MRSA's already prevalent in hospitals and most likely to be spread by contact with hospital personnel.

Here's the big takeaway from all of this in my mind:

"The researchers think the dogs were generally clean of MRSA when they first came to the hospital, but picked it up from patients or others while they were there, said one of the authors, Meghan Davis.

'Our hypothesis is it’s really person-to-person transmission, but it happened through contact with the fur,' said Davis, a Johns Hopkins public health researcher and veterinarian."

So it really seems to me that the real question is whether therapy dogs are any more likely to spread MRSA in hospitals than people who may go from room to room, not only hospital personnel but also volunteers who might visit multiple rooms as well.

I can see this being further sensationalized in the media. It's already been done in the headline, photo caption and opening pgh. of this article. 

I just hope I'm wrong. (And I'm glad I don't do therapy work in hospitals. And that there seems to be a solution with bathing, which most hospitals require of TDs w/ 24 hours, and the wipes.)

Kind of like the sensationalism around the 1 man who got a terrible illness when his dog licked him.  

How many million dogs in the country licking their owners have never passed any diseases to anyone.  Versus 2 cases of this incredibly rare disease.  And boy did the media run with it.

2 hours ago, Smalahundur said:

Of course can therapy dogs spread superbugs. Just like docters, nurses, janitors, visitors etc etc.:rolleyes:

That was pretty much the jist of the whole article, or at least what I got from it.

Wasn't there a House MD episode where the hospital got shut down because of infection in the neonatal ward before House figured out it was passed on by one of the people selling teddy bears from a visiting cart?

OK, I may have watched that show a few too many times.