BC Boards

My dog doesn't like to train with me anymore. How to reset?

Hi everyone!

I have a problem, maybe some of you recognise this and can help me out with some advice.

I have a BC from a working line, she's almost 3 years old. She's smart as a whip. You can teach her anything in one go. The first one and a half year she was pretty motivated and very very energetic when we trained. Lately she's not only uninterested (disengages after a few commands), but also actively barks at me or avoids me when I want to do anything that has to do with training or playing: tricks, agility, frisbee, playing with toys, you name it. She still likes going to the sheep, but I have to put so much pressure on her, to make her listen. The only thing she really likes nowadays is running after her tennis ball on the beach. 

I'm wondering what I did wrong here: too much training as a young dog? Too much pressure / negativity? (I try to keep it very positive). too much repetition? (she hates hates hates repetition)

It isn't necessarily only associated with me, she doesnt like training or doing tricks with other people anymore either. She is still a happy dog, but I can see she's sometimes a bit bored now, which makes my heart ache. Plus: I wanna have fun with her and do more than just walk her. 

So I was thinking: is there a way to reset? 

Maybe no advanced commands and no training for a good while, just long walks and cuddles? And then slowly reintroduce training in a fun way and keep it short? 

How? Help! :(

It is possible you pressed her a bit hard, to the point that she doesn't think training is fun. This is easy to do,  because you want to teach the dog more and more and more and you expect a lot of them.

Just back off. Don't do any training, especially on sheep where you say you are putting pressure on her. She is telling you that this isn't working for her. Instead, find games you can play with your dog and focus on that for a while, maybe three or four weeks. Fetch, tug, Google "games you can play with your dog". 

Then, in the middle of a game, toss in a little trained thing. For instance, while playing fetch, ask her to sit or do a very simple trick, and her reward is a hearty "good girl!" and the ball is thrown again. Only one per fetch session for maybe a week. Then if that is going well, make it two. Don't go back to scheduled training sessions where all you do is train. From now on, always combine training with play, at the very least half-and-half, but for several weeks I would do more like 90% play.

Don't worry about the time it takes. The idea is to reset training in her mind to something that is a game. My approach to training is that one should never do it unless one is feeling upbeat and optimistic, always stop the minute the dog gives off a stress signal or turns away,  and reward like crazy. I make training, no matter what kind it is (and, understand I know nothing about stock training), a game that the dog loves to do because she always wins. If the dog doesn't want to train, it is not a game that is fun to her. 

I agree with D'elle. Sometimes when we expect too much, it can make them anxious or frustrated as it would a person. The barking sounds like frustration. Go back to basic and instead of teaching, go over stuff that is easy for her and praise greatly. She may need a bit of a confidence boost knowing she's doing something right and will be more eager to please and learn

You could even take it a step further ~ ignore her. If you do need to interact with her, do so neutrally. Put down her food, or put on her leash, or whatever it is, with as little interaction as you can manage.

My first bc went through a spell just like what you describe. I was overwhelming her to the point that she'd leave the room when I entered. My then husband finally said to me, "You're always telling her to DO something! Give the poor dog a break!" He was right.

Give her at least 24 hours of nothing from you, except as necessary. Then tell her she's a good dog. Give her a pat on the head, or scratch her back, or some little thing YOU can do for HER, rather than demanding that she do something for you. Give that a few days. If there's a silly game she likes to play, play that. Stop after a few minutes. If she wants to start up again, start. Stop again after a few minutes. Briefly, let her set the pace & activity level.

Gradually, (I'd give it a minimum of 5 days, a week might be better. Let her response and eagerness to engage be your guide.), start a game of fetch, or whatever game she likes. Build very slowly on that. 

You're re-building the bond you had with her. It takes time, but dogs are forgiving, and she'll come around. I'm pretty sure you and I are not the only dog owners who have gotten a little too enthusiastic about our dogs and their abilities! And let us know how you all get on.

Ruth & Gibbs

2 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Don't worry about the time it takes. The idea is to reset training in her mind to something that is a game. My approach to training is that one should never do it unless one is feeling upbeat and optimistic, always stop the minute the dog gives off a stress signal or turns away,  and reward like crazy. I make training, no matter what kind it is (and, understand I know nothing about stock training), a game that the dog loves to do because she always wins. If the dog doesn't want to train, it is not a game that is fun to her. 

awesome advice, thanks so much

2 hours ago, reploidphoenix said:

I agree with D'elle. Sometimes when we expect too much, it can make them anxious or frustrated as it would a person. The barking sounds like frustration. Go back to basic and instead of teaching, go over stuff that is easy for her and praise greatly. She may need a bit of a confidence boost knowing she's doing something right and will be more eager to please and learn

The barking is definitely frustration. very different from her normal bark. Thanks for your input

35 minutes ago, urge to herd said:

You're re-building the bond you had with her. It takes time, but dogs are forgiving, and she'll come around. I'm pretty sure you and I are not the only dog owners who have gotten a little too enthusiastic about our dogs and their abilities! And let us know how you all get on.

Thanks so much for your advice, and those last two lines are very kind words. :)