BC Boards

What do you feed them when they're sick?

Tommy123

My dog recently had diarhea for about two days, and my vet said to give her Science diet with the "i/d" wet food from "Precription Diet". Is this a good combination, as she normally gets a wet/dry mix once a day, along with one dry meal a day, or is this too sudden to be switching? The vet said to phase out her old food in about a week by gradually switching over to "Science Diet", but I'm not sure how good the food is. Can anyone tell me anything about this food brand?

Tommy123,

If your vet is recommending food that you can only get from his office, you should at least be suspcious. I'm presuming that he has been found to be free of intestinal worms, coccidia, and giardia.

I've used Britta's method with one of the dogs here who is a bad garbage-hound and occasionally eats things that make him very sick. If we skip one meal (I feed once a day) that usually clears things up.

The purpose of yoghurt is to re-establish beneficial bacteria in the GI-tract. It will also help with hydration. If the dog has been sick enough that hydration is a concern, I'll mix a few tablespoons of yoghurt with a couple of cups of water. They will usually drink this flavored mixture very well.

Make sure the yoghurt is labeled as having "live cultures." Most is, but there are some that are not.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH

[This message has been edited by Bill Fosher (edited 08-23-2002).]

I agree with the day of fasting...give her system a "break." Boiled chicken and rice is always a good bet for a few days...and canned pumpkin (the straight stuff - not the pie mix) is a big help. In fact I have a 14 1/2 yr old golden retriever who I give a couple of tablespoons to every day as a treat - great place to hide medications, too! LOL smile.gif When the thunderstorms threaten, I put his drops of Rescue Remedy into a spoonful of pumpkin and he licks it right up!

All that said, I've had times where none of the above has made a difference...and the Science Diet I/D did the trick. [like when my old dog had a reaction to ivermectin and had bloody diarrhea for 2 wks and dropped about 11 lbs] Don't worry about just the sudden switch...that food is very bland - in fact I believe right on the bag is says that it is not for use all the time...it is specific to dogs with a severe digestive upset. The few times I've had to resort to that, I've fed it for about 10 days (overkill, perhaps, but if they've been that sick, I like to be sure they're well over it before going back to regular food)

Sorry to hear your dog is ill...

janet

[This message has been edited by JEL (edited 08-23-2002).]

Whenever one of my dogs get diarrhea I will skip one meal, they are fed twice a day. I will then make a big batch of enriched rice and boiled chicken. I will feed this for about 3 days and if the stools are normal I will then slowly start mixing the dog food back into the rice and chicken mix.

I only skip one meal because my dogs have sensitive tummies and if they miss both meals they start vomiting up bile so I only skip one meal.

I had a dog that got stomach upset from eating bad things. The vet always told me to withold food for 24 hours and then start her back on soft food.

I used cottage cheese and sometimes babyfood. Babyfood is good if the dog has been sick and you need to get them started eating again. The boiled rice and chicken and I think boiled hamburger. Just really soft stuff.

Tay would really get sick. She would throw up for a while and then have the runs. The diet really helped.

I have heard that Imodium works for the squirts. But I would check with a Vet first on that one. My vet has told me to use Pepto in the past for stomach upset and runs.

------------------

Mary Hartman

Kansas City, MO

I used to know a beagle guy who said he fed coupons. Believe it or not I sold that bassage a dog. Near the top of the top ten of my worst mistakes as a breeder.

Anyway, having been around natural diet dog food freaks for awhile, I am not going to try to defend Science Diet or your vet even though I feed Science Diet and think you should do what your vet tells you.

I/D is a food for dogs that are in danger of dehydration due to intestinal illness. My vet recommends it or boiled chicken and rice after a day of fasting for dogs who can keep nothing down.

------------------

Margaret

retired terrierwoman, border collie newbie

drumlins@adelphia.net

[This message has been edited by Margaret M Wheeler (edited 08-23-2002).]