BC Boards

Report on the EAOD Research Project

Eileen Stein

2 hours ago, Liz P said:

Do we know yet what other DNA tests will be offered in a package with the EOD gene and what that panel will cost?

Genoscoper  is a testing lab that is very focused on research.  For that reason, when you request a DNA test from them, your dog will be tested not just for the known genetic disorders in its breed, but for ALL genetic disorders found in dog breeds generally.  Using this methodology, Genoscoper has found a number of disorders previously unknown in a particular breed to actually be present in the genetic material of a tested dog of that breed.  This should come as no surprise, since we all know that there are recessive genetic mutations in all individuals, even though they may not be known to exist because they are rare enough that two parents carrying them have so far never met up to produce offspring.  It's good to conduct this kind of wide research, even though the more mutations that are uncovered this way,  the more complicated and difficult it is to formulate breeding advice, and the more necessary it is to have a sound breeding strategy rather than just never breeding a dog who tests positive for a defective mutation.

You can find more specific information about Genoscoper's testing for border collies here.  Note that although there is no mention of testing for MDR1 under disorders, that is in fact one of the mutations tested for.  It is listed under "Drug Response" rather than "Disorders."  Also, you'll see that EAOD is not there yet. :(  

Genoscoper's normal charge for all this testing is about $110.  However, because they have an agreement with OptiGen requiring them to pay a licensing fee to OptiGen when they administer the CEA test, the basic charge goes up to approx $130 for the whole package when the CEA test is included.  In the US, the testing is provided by Wisdom Health, with which Genoscoper is now affiliated.  Further information here.  Their charge for the package of all tests is $130, so I think it's safe to conclude that will end up being the price.  

I should put in a disclaimer that this information is to the best of my understanding, and I may be off on some details.  It's also true that once the research findings are published, other testing labs may begin offering the EAOD test.  Speaking only for myself, I like the Genoscoper approach, because it can capture so much information, leading to more research to better understand the big picture in canine genetics.       

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know if testing for addition diseases is added in the future, will owners will automatically get those results?  For example, if someone were to order their test now, prior to the EAOD test being released, would the owner get the EAOD results once the test was available?

16 hours ago, Liz P said:

Do you know if testing for addition diseases is added in the future, will owners will automatically get those results?  For example, if someone were to order their test now, prior to the EAOD test being released, would the owner get the EAOD results once the test was available?

I think the answer is yes, but I will check with them to make sure.

How long before ABCA will have it publish so we can get a competitive price where we do not have to pay to repeat all the tests on our dogs again?  What a waist of money and I expect many will now not test at all unless they know they have it in their dog's lines. Can you give a time frame for when the test is published so we can use choice of labs? 

18 hours ago, Liz P said:

I think it will depend upon if the markers for a future test were included in those tested when the sample was first run.  I don’t know what or how many genetic markers are part of the current test run by genoscoper.  The main costs of tests are the handling of the sample, running the sample, and dealing with the data.  If a sample needs to be rerun to cover new genetic markers I would expect there to be added costs.

This article by Lohi and researchers at genoscoper lists 152 markers in the custom “wisdom panel”.

https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1007361#pgen.1007361.s002

Think it's really great value for money at genoscoper and really cheap egen compared to so many other Companys.

So think a lot will test anyway because so much more is add'ed at the genoscoper test than anywere else. I probably Would have run the test in my breeding dogs anyway now i know how they use the data and how much is tested for.

But might take som marketing and telling people exactly what they get from genoscoper - testing 3-4 dogs is after all a bit of money for most people.

Otherwise people will just have to wait a bit longer to the article is published and other companys offers the test. Actually making people know there is a dissease making out dogs go deaf still seems like the biggest problem at the moment - until my own dog godt deaf nearly no one in the country knew about EAOD and most still don't. And they need to know to do any test in the first place.

On 5/1/2019 at 11:30 PM, Liz P said:

What Mark writes makes total sense.

My contact at Genoscoper recommends waiting until the EAOD test is available before ordering already available tests.  I take this to mean that there will either be a separate charge or more paperwork to go through to get the deafness test after you've already gotten the test package on a particular dog.  I also take it to confirm that they really do intend to have the  EAOD test on the market within a month or so, which is good.

If you have 5 dogs that already have CEA TNS CL CNCL DM IGS MDR1 SN Glaucoma and Raines, DNA profile for $110.00 and now you have to pay another $130? 5 times again just to get EAOD test done, that is eye popping! Every way you count the $$ someone has now been given control of the DNA market for the BC breed world wide,  set to make huge sums of money  from all BC owners that now have only one option if they want this test. I have seen this tried before and for the most part not many tested, eventually they published when it became clear no windfall of $$ coming their way. People do not like to be manipulated. I was going to test all my dogs ASAP, but now I will be checking pedigrees again and may skip it unless I see a big risk. Been waiting years anyway, 5-10-20 more years before they publish? Who knows. Will just see what happens. Very disappointed. 

If a standalone, reduced price isn't available I know I'll be testing very few of mine. $130 is a great deal, if you haven't already spent that on your kennel. Otherwise, I have to agree, it sounds like a good deal for the labs.. hopefully we'll know more when/if the test becomes accessable.

15 hours ago, backtoblack said:

Is anyone going to make an online EAOD DNA results database? I might do if no one else has plans?? 

That's the spirit!  Just be prepared for criticism if it doesn't turn out exactly to everyone's liking. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They will certainly let the ABCA HEF know when it's available, and we will post that info when they do.  In the meantime, if you are concerned that the test may have become available without our having posted about it, you can check the Genoscoper blog.

Having been involved with multiple launches of new commercial diagnostic tests, I am not surprised the time lines have slipped.  It is not uncommon for the final details in the development process to not go as one anticipated.  It is better for us that they make sure every thing about this test (all the reagents used for every individual test run and the details of how each test is to be run) is accurate and reproducible.

Getting a new test ready for the market can be like getting a new dog ready for trialing.  You can set a particular trial as your goal but if your dog is not ready is it better to disappoint friends who want to see your new dog or to run your unprepared dog?

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news is, that the test should be available... Now!

Only confirmed by an E-mail from the lab. So, since nothing is out on the website or really official yet, i'm waiting till it's confirmed to order the test.
But sounds like the waiting is almost over.

Really do hope so, since i have a mating planned within a month or two, and really would like the test done before :D

I thought that a peer review was supposed to precede release of a test.  Maybe they decided to release the test without a peer review?  Will there be any information released about the mode of inheritance of EAOD and what genes might be involved?  It would be nice to understand the test and genetics before we start testing. 

That said, it's great news to hear that there will soon be a test.

I have been trying to educate myself on how to use a 4 snp DNA risk test. Both for the risk the dog you tested and also how you would use that information for breeding and the risk for the pups. Not a lot out there about this type of test, even less on how to use. I have never used one before and I would guess many ABCA owners will also not know what  to expect or how to use it. Could ABCA perhaps do some educations posts on here to teach us how to use this test on the dog and also for breeding decisions? For example, I am trying to figure out, it might seem that if either or both of the parents carry some or all of the snps then all the pups in the litter will also need to be tested to determine their risk? I just can not find anything that explains who you navigate this.