BC Boards

BC wobbles

nicole

Guest rtphokie

Are you talking about Wobbler's Disease (Cervical Vertebral Instability), the nuerological condition? If so, I have a BC with it. It is not common at all in this breed...we've yet to find another BC with it. Let me know if we're talking about the same thing.

Laura Slusher

Raleigh, NC

Wobbler's Disease is more common in the Doberman Pinscher and Great Dane. I have not heard of a border collie having it but anything is possible. If you are talking about Wobbler's disease, I would suggest researching the internet for wobbler's disease and doberman pinscher's and great dane's. You would probably have more luck finding info that way.

If this is the same thing you are talkign about, try the below link

http://www.doberescue.com/faq/items/75.html

[This message has been edited by 2 Devils (edited 08-19-2002).]

Guest rtphokie

That's why I asked before I tried to explain everything, because I had thought I heard of that term loosely used to decribed exercise-induced problems.

Wobblers can be a genetic problem, which you'll most likely see in large breeds (not limited to Dobes and Danes, but certainly prevelant in those breeds), but it is also seen in other breeds when caused by trauma. Case in point is my Border Collie. And like I said, we've still yet to hear of another BC with it...which is a good thing! So 2Devils, now you can say you have heard of it in a BC!

Laura & Casey (always unique!)

Guest PrairieFire

"Hi List, I was actually talking about the problem with some BC's that crash or collapse after exersize."

Well, this phraseology isn't exactly accurate...

ANY dog that is overexercised, heat stressed, etc. can show physical symptoms that can include "wobbling".

A good handler will learn to recognize when a dog is approaching that threshold and cool them down.

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Hi Nicole,

Yes, I've heard of "Wobbles" - actually asked a similar question about a year ago. There used to be an article on-line called "Wobbles When Working" and I was looking for the link. Since I never got it, I'm not sure if this is referring to work induced hyperthermia or something else. If you get information, will you please share it with the Boards?

Thanks!

Kim

------------------

Black Dog Farm

http://www.blackdogfarm.com

Hi Kim, Yes, I am speaking of exercise induced collapse. I just found an article that talks about research being done in labs, because they are finding this problem more and more in young fit dogs. I will send you the link to the article.

Nicole

That's a link I'm not familiar with - thanks. I'm not sure if this is the same problem that is seen in border collies (and I have several retriever links on my site because I'm not sure). Wisconsin Border Collie Rescue used to have an article on Malignant Hyperthermia but it hasn't been available since they've been working on their site. They urge people to email questions - perhaps they can help?

Kim

------------------

Black Dog Farm

Try doing a google search for exertion hyperthermia. There are some articles about it. Malignant hyperthermia and exertion hyperthermia are not the same thing. They have similar symptoms and can be aggrivated by some of the same things but exertion hyperthermia seems to be what you are talking about it.

Laura-yes I can now say I heard of a border collie with Wobbler's. I hope all is going well with your bc.

I'll be clearer, I'm not sure if the problem in retrievers "exertional hyperthermia" has the same etiology as Wobblers in border collies. It seems to me that I read somewhere that it doesn't. Do you have some cites to that effect 2Devils?

Kim

------------------

Black Dog Farm

Guest rtphokie

Kim,

Just to make things clear, Wobblers is Cervical Vertebral Instability (CVI), a nuerological condition, and has nothing at all to do with the exercise-induced collapse being discussed here. I don't want to confuse anybody!

BTW, I love your website and go there often to look through the links! :rolleyes:

Laura

Raleigh, NC

[This message has been edited by rtphokie (edited 08-20-2002).]

Kim,

I do not have the sites any longer. We had this discussion ahile back on the acd board I frequent. I was not able to find the links in the archive but I will keep looking. If I find them I will send you the info.

My bc/mix gets overly heated quickly. Luckily, she will quit playing when she starts to get too hot, usually. I have to pay close attention to her though. There are times that she will keep going, ie: when playing flyball. I have been known to pull her from races when I think she is getting too hot. I have been lucky so far because she has never quite gotten to the exertion hyperthermia but the vets say she has been close and they said that once they get it, they are more prone to it.

Sorry that I am not more helpful.

Kim

Centreville, VA

Guest rtphokie

Kim (2devils),

What flyball team are you on?? If you're going to be at NSL, come find me and you can meet my wobbly BC Casey.

Laura

BR

Oops, I'm definately in overload (got call at 6:00 a.m. - sheep escape. The condition I'm referring to in border collies is informally called "Wobbles" - it's different from Wobblers (I know). There was an article about 5 years ago at the Border Collie Studbook website, which is no longer on-line. I've been trying to track it down for a couple of years. If and when I get the link, I'll pass it on.

Sorry for the confusion - my life this past year has been in overload and this week is an especially busy one. I'll try to check my posts several times before sending (I promise) :rolleyes:

Kim

------------------

Black Dog Farm