BC Boards
CptJack

Kiran agility thread

I think part of it for Oscar is that for most of our agility trials, we are camping in a tent at a caravan park or camp ground with many other people and dogs around.  This starts the day before the trial.  Then we have all of the fun of the trial, for two days (or at least a day and a half) before we get to go home.  This is not counting the minimum two to five hour drive before we get to the town of the trial. There is so much stimulation for him, and we only go maybe three to five times a year (not including our home trials, where he can come home at the end of the day).

We have our first trial of the year this coming weekend, our closest neighbour, only two hours' drive away.  We will be staying in a packed caravan park.  It is a long weekend, and there is an agility trial, a kid's surf lifesaving competition and, I think, a kids soccer competition on in the same town, and a Folk Music festival at a neighbouring town on the same weekend, with literally thousands of people staying in the camp in caravans, motorhomes, tents, cabins, rooftop tents etc. It is insanely busy.

Yeah.  We sometimes have some chaos - a lot of my trials are in public parks, which means we've reserved part of it and there's a soccer game next door, kids on the playground, and once even some police training on their obstacle course - but we almost always go home at the end of the day.  The events in horse barns are basically just agility people and the odd spectator.  Those are pretty nice.  The biggest issue there are the pigeons and mice.   Kiran is pretty environmentally INsensitive though thank god.  He has, literally, been unfussed by a train passing him blowing it's horn to the tune of jingle bells, in the dark, at a 800 people festival, in the dark, with fires and people in costumes.

I've got all the 'I care what's going on around me' I can handle with Molly.   Kiran's issue is more that he just knows he's going to work and loses it because he wants to do the thing. NOW.  Or has.  Seems like we might be getting a handle on that on e. 

I have never come across an indoor trial in Australia yet.  Then again, the weather here is a LITTLE more friendly to outdoor trials in winter.  Most grounds tend to be public grounds but blessedly quiet, other than the occasional bird and spectator.  Our home grounds are next to a BMX track, but we don't usually have competing users.  One thing Australia has a lot of is space.

I may try and get some photos of the caravan park, and the trial grounds, to show what the trial is like.  If you would be interested.  The trial actually has an obedience and rally competition as well as agility rings.

I probably will not get a chance to load anything until Monday when I get back, but I will try to take some photos or videos to show what the trial set up is like.  I may set up a new thread, because I think it could be quite interesting to see what people's set ups are like in different countries, and organisations, a country trial vs a city trial, indoor vs outdoor. 

Sorry for hijacking Kiran's thread for a while. Now back to normal programming...

9 hours ago, Lawgirl said:

I probably will not get a chance to load anything until Monday when I get back, but I will try to take some photos or videos to show what the trial set up is like.  I may set up a new thread, because I think it could be quite interesting to see what people's set ups are like in different countries, and organisations, a country trial vs a city trial, indoor vs outdoor. 

Sorry for hijacking Kiran's thread for a while. Now back to normal programming...

I don't mind at all!  I mean I'm just posting things to track and I like talking to people (and you!)

I have a one day trial this weekend with the tricolor mutts.   I'll see about getting some video too - or at least a clear shot of the arena.  Comparing venues could be fun and it'll certainly be educational!

2 hours ago, Lawgirl said:

So dainty and divine! I love it!

It makes me laugh.  I always wanted a dog who would single step and he is apparently JUST leggy enough to manage as long as he hops a little bit, LOL. 

It was a good trial for us.  Kiran got his touch and go novice title, got a Q in Open Regular.  Kylie got an extended Chances title and passed her 1,000 points in her career.  And we only did one day!

We'll see what the rest of the spring holds (3 more trials - one more weekend after next, then back to back last week in April.  All 3 dogs going to those 3, Molly did not attend this one, thankfully.  It was WAY too small for the number of people, dogs, and RVs. Never mind the plethora of on site livesotck! (eep))

1klif7uKx5txkp2PflewiR.jpg

Someday, someday, all the 'your reward is always in front of you' will sink in and this dog will stop thinking midair in jumps is the ideal time to look at me. 

Someday.

I shouldn't laugh, but it took a long time for that to sink in with Oscar too, so I feel your frustration...

In the meantime, it makes for a very distinguished looking photograph!

He's about to start a distance class that I suspect will help some and if not honestly...

I don't care. 

It does make for a great picture and he makes me laugh so much it's just impossible to get stressed about things with him.

Sometimes I feel like we get too caught up with the competition part of agility.  I know there IS a very super competitive side to it, but to be honest, for most of us, we are never going to be competing at national level, either due to employment, time, money, physical health issues, location, whatever.  I do not see the point in acting like I am competing "for sheep stations" as we say in Australia (i.e. for high stakes), when I am really in it for the fun.

It may just be me, but as long as my boy is enjoying his runs, it has been a successful trial.  And so long as I do not get stressed, he WILL have fun.

At the end of the run, no matter whether we got a clear run or whether Oscar made up his own course, he turns to me with a big grin, bouncing around, ears and tail up, so pleased with himself that I just have to smile back.  That is why I love agility.

So while I am competitive enough to prefer a clear run, and want to improve my handling, I am not going to worry about a knocked bar, or Oscar turning to me during a course.

I think for me a lot of is....

I'm interested in improving my handling, but Kiran's my third agility dog.  He'll come along as he does, or he won't, but either way we're going to have fun together, and I"m going to learn lots, and I'm okay with kicking back and taking that as it comes.

I have a VERY successful agility dog - multiple top 10 in the country in assorted games, qualified for nationals that I won't go to - and that's helped me not feel like I have something to prove.  I know I can train dogs.  I know I can handle dogs. I want to handle dogs better, but I don't need the titles and Qs to prove that anymore because I've already gotten them.  And I hate that I ever feel I had an ything prove to start with.

Dogs don't live nearly long enough. I don't want to waste a second of time I could be enjoying them and having fun being stressed out or stressing them out.  

I'm here to play.  To bond with my dog.  To play with my dog.  To learn, myself, but as much from the dogs as the instructors and courses, but mostly: to love my dog, play with my dog, appreciate with my dog, and to have a good time.

So. Yeah. Basically exactly what you said.  

K7so6rLMZLzIWcN6de6nz.gif

HE doesn't extend much in agility, but my GOD can he for disc.

Also this week:

He tried dock diving (this is not good - except when you realize this was his first time on a dock)

7B1tdA0X1t4i8f3lsLJRao.gif

Went lure coursing ( (he honestly thinks it's dumb but sometimes enjoys it)

And had 2 agility classes I didn't video. 

Versatile dog is versatile.

That is awesome!  I love him with the disc, and dock diving looks like fun.  I don't know that it is very big in Australia, which seems weird given our summer weather.  We may just be slow!

1 hour ago, Lawgirl said:

That is awesome!  I love him with the disc, and dock diving looks like fun.  I don't know that it is very big in Australia, which seems weird given our summer weather.  We may just be slow!

I don't think it's particularly huge in the states, either, though clearly it's around and gaining in popularity.  I just (luckily) live in a big old hot spot for basically any dog sport you can imagine.  I think weight pull is the only thing I couldn't get to within about an hour of driving.  I've even had invitations to join some people for bitework with Kiran o.O

6H7aVoYbMtshnoRMv64LQv.gif

There is no part of this that isn't wrong and it is the funniest, most ridiculous, most adorable, thing ever.

8 minutes ago, Lawgirl said:

It is all of that!:lol::D:wub:

He tries so hard.  Just also sometimes badly :P  

Random video of the past week. 

15MoD73ap403bs4IbH9BTI.jpg

He got second AND third in our  division oflocal disc league - because he was running for both my husband and I.

It just struck me, I have this picture in my head of one day coming for a visit with you CptJack, walking to the door, seeing Kiran and running to give him the biggest hug because I feel like I know and love him, and we are best friends through your posts, and Kiran going who the hell is this person, and running for the hills...

:lol::lol::lol:

ROFL!  I like that other people love him and care about him!

Though he probably wouldn't run away so much as be like "...??? Why?"   He's a pretty tolerant dog.  Disinterested  in general! But tolerant.