BC Boards
CptJack

Kiran agility thread

We're a couple of classes from the end of his group class 'career', and starting club practices and probably the occasional private this fall.  He'll debut in a couple of very, very basic classes at a couple of trials at the end of this month for trial experience.

Very baby.  No clue what's going on.  Not blazing fast.  Waaaaay in need of more obstacle focus (believe it or not this is better - early on there were points he'd run into obstacles because he wouldn't take his attention off me - and it's not agility specific, he's always had to have  'yo, things are happening besides the woman' pointed out to him, even when teeny tiny).  Being outdoors and able to throw rewards will help that.  

But.  He tries hard and he's got good handling skills and I"m pretty pleased with him. 

Thanks, guys.  I don't plan on videoing everything, ever, but husband took some while we were at his first club practice doing things (first time in the big field, people and dogs), so I'm sharing.    ...and no, he will not be jumping 12" forever, LOL.

Really particularly proud of the leadout.

Looking very good to me, not that I am any sort of an expert!  You can see him still looking at you after every run, but then he follows where you are pointing.  As someone whose dog has essentially zero leadout (because MUM I WANT TO JUMP!) I am jealous of yours.

On a certain level I'm somewhat surprised by how deliberate and thoughtful he is.   More, I'm surprised that I'm surprised at all.   He's pretty balls to the walls once he absolutely understands what the game is (with everything), but he's also a hard thinker and very... earnest in his desire to be a good boy.  Agility to date has been about short sequences and handling challenges, so he's both waiting for every obstacle to be his last and thinking hard about what I want.  Definitely needs some obstacle focus and toy rewards out in front of him from here, but.  He'll get there.  Seriously about 98% sure he's just... a very green, very baby dog who is trying REAL HARD.

And. Not gonna lie, I'm not protesting his lack of being Molly  intense with it.  

Uh.  Long way around and small novel out of the way: THANK YOU!

Another week, another practice.  Kiran on the regular course this time (second clip - first one is Molly on the 'The Instructor's making people do all the boxes' Jumpers course). 

I am DAMN pleased with that puppy.

Good luck for your first trial!

Oscar and I have our second local trial for the year this weekend too - first trial since, um, early May.  Have not done much training over our winter (no indoor training rings) and it has been raining lightly but solidly here for the last two days.  We will see how we go...

Anyway, photos and videos please.

The weaves look good to me, definitely getting there.

Thanks.  I think we'll do okay.  At the very least I'm unconcerned.  He's 18 months old and the worst things there is any risk of him doing are visiting ring crew and using the bathroom in the ring. 

Which are not things I particularly care about, to be honest, after debuting a dog where 'starts a dog fight' 'bites someone' or 'gets me expelled from the organization' were on my mind. 

Also realizing that some of his 'thoughtful'  is sort of the opposite.  Kiran, not showing his BC heritage at all, finds thinking kind of frustrating.  He'd much rather let me think for him.  If he stares at me, he doesn't have to.  He'll get better as it's less new. 

4Dcis44sRaxoFozo0C7qZt.jpg

42U2Q3jzYdWEfBNSMQtXRn.jpg

5luMl2oJgAEJM8sRYSP6ei.jpg

Trial was beta format.  That means 2 rounds on the same course.  Round 1?  Well video tile explains it. Didn't understand WHAT was going on for about half the course. First trial, first agility inside, dirt floor, everything smelled of livestock, a dog before him peed in the ring just very ??? 

Round 2?  Not flashy but he got it!   For 18 months old?  Thrilled to bits and super proud.  Being able to reward with toys now in training,  as I've said before, will add to his speed, enthusiasm, and confidence.   Or at least his love of the game and therefore the rest. 

Well done!  Funny how you really could see his brain switch on halfway through his first run!

Wish we were allowed a second run on our courses.

Oscar got a third place qualification on novice snooker in our trial on the weekend, but I did not get a video of it. 

16 hours ago, Lawgirl said:

Well done!  Funny how you really could see his brain switch on halfway through his first run!

Wish we were allowed a second run on our courses.

Oscar got a third place qualification on novice snooker in our trial on the weekend, but I did not get a video of it. 

You really can and it's funny and adorable. 

Most trials here don't, but NADAC allows some trials to be run in 'beta' so smaller trials/trials with less daylight can do fewer course resets.  It can be very handy for training.  You'd think people would Q more that way, but it almost never happens.  

Go Ocasar! And you!

There is one trial I know of where they run back to back classes e.g. Open, Open, Excellent, Excellent, Novice, Novice.  I have not been to the trial, but I have heard that some judges simply reverse the course for the second run to save time.  That way they only need to turn the spread jump around.

I was happy overall with our trial.  We had seven runs, with just one qualifier., which was our fifth of the first day.  The first three runs Oscar was so excited to be competing again he was jumping everything in sight.  By the fourth he had settled down and was paying attention but I got lost on the course and sent him the wrong way.  By day two, we had one run with two course faults, and one run with one course fault and ten seconds overtime(!) - not sure how, other than I had to keep calling back from the wrong jump to get him to the right jump.  It was not a very flowing course, and my handling was probably too slow too.

Oscar was happy, I was happy, problems were more my fault than his, weather was good, we got a pass.  I have modest expectations from trials and this more than met all of them.

First Regular Run in a trial.   I may or may not really process video at some point, but for now have this one.  Perfect? No.  Gaining confidence and improving fast? Yep!

He got both his regular runs today.

That means his first, and only to date, trial running regular he titled. 

BABY DOG HAS A TITLE.

I'll do more video later.  After, perhaps, some sleep.

OK, I tried to play the video and it came up as video unavailable? Not sure why.

Congratulations!

Is it three runs to get your title?  That used to be the case here but then they changed it so you have to get five clear runs now for novice and open, 6 for excellent and 7 for masters, and there have to be at least three different judges too.

I'm not sure what the deal is.  Youtube has been having weird server issues and driving me nus all day. 

3 is our basic title.  6 for oustanding, 10 for superior.  You can move up after 3 though, the rest aren't required.  

Oooh, I like that, title, then higher grades of title if you don't want to move up to the higher level.  Can you compete in the higher level and still go for outstanding or superior in the lower level as well? Or do you have to decide to do one or the other?

In ours, once you qualify for your title, you can only complete comps you have already entered at that level where entries have closed. Otherwise you have to pay for your title and enter the next level up.

I could watch your Molly video.  Go figure.

16 minutes ago, gcv-border said:

Yay, Kiran. He looks good.

Thanks! He has a long way to go and he is still very confused about the point, but he's also a baby so I'm ok with that :P

9 hours ago, Lawgirl said:

Oooh, I like that, title, then higher grades of title if you don't want to move up to the higher level.  Can you compete in the higher level and still go for outstanding or superior in the lower level as well? Or do you have to decide to do one or the other?

In ours, once you qualify for your title, you can only complete comps you have already entered at that level where entries have closed. Otherwise you have to pay for your title and enter the next level up.

I could watch your Molly video.  Go figure.

Yep.  You can move back down - or move back and forth.  You can't do it in the same trial, but that's the only limitation I know of. 

Just now, Lawgirl said:

I will keep trying the video.  Someday it will play for me...

I just uploaded the entire thing.  If that doesn't work I've got nothing.  But I ADMIRE YOUR DEDICATION :P 

And of course that's a download.  I can't even upload again because it's the same video. I did check.  It's listed as public :/  Blah