BC Boards

Bad Breeding?

reploidphoenix

So i have a border collie i got from a friend my husband thought was "cute". Besides being cute, he has some issues along with some family members in the area. Most dogs from the breeder in my area have aggression/ fear related issues. My pup seemed find until he hit about 12 weeks old. He suddenly became reactive to EVERYTHING. He had food aggression i fixed(all his littermates were fighting over food from the time they were born), but still plays rough with my other dog and is very impulsive.

He also seems to have a weird gait in the back where his hips seems to push his legs inward and he walks on the outside of his feet. His front toes curl under when he's sitting or laying down. Several of his family has these same issues..one is almost 5 years old and they are still breeding the male with these issues.

I was shcoked to learn just because they are ABCA registered doesn't mean they didn't come from a puppymill...

and i found this website online explaining everything.

http://www.border-wars.com/2007/09/border-collie-war-akc-vs-abca.html

any opinions or suggestions? It doesn't look like breeders can be reported for concerns or bad breeding..its kinda upsetting

wellefeet.jpg

If your state has any sort of puppy lemon laws you might be able to do something about the breeder in that regard. Genetic defects? However,  I'm not sure how this would work if you didn't purchase him directly from the breeder.. good luck with your boy I hope you get everything straightened out!

I got him from someone who buys them from the breeder, then sells them in the area. I'm waiting for the ABCA paperwork in the mail. The person that sold him to me offered to take him back, but ive had him about 5 months now, and my husband loves him. Reading through the ABCA site, apparently its against their policy to sell their registered pups to a "broker" to sell?

My neighbors dog that is mine's half brother(they share a father) is still in this "brokers" name and not the real owners name. Just alot of shady stuff going on.

Wish i would have seen his relatives in the area before i got him..the broker has 1 relative that turned out ok. The other 6 in the area have aggressions issues.

I would just like to prevent them from using the same male that is causing the genetic defects and temperment issues. It's saddening and bad for the breed.

I understand it is sad... Unfortunately, unless you have documentation that you can back up the fact that you bought him from a broker, I'm not really sure what ABC I can do to help.. I wonder what is registration papers will say... If it's going from the breeder directly to you or from the broker to you? Not sure how you would go about proving the third party is a broker to. Good luck, I know ABCA  won't look kindly on this but their hands may be tied.

2 minutes ago, Journey said:

I understand it is sad... Unfortunately, unless you have documentation that you can back up the fact that you bought him from a broker, I'm not really sure what ABC I can do to help.. I wonder what is registration papers will say... If it's going from the breeder directly to you or from the broker to you? Not sure how you would go about proving the third party is a broker to. Good luck, I know ABCA  won't look kindly on this but their hands may be tied.

I think he may be registered to me from the breeder. The broker asked for my address and such to send to the breeder via text. My neighbors paperwork has the "brokers" name on it as the owner. The lady said she's placed over 50 puppies..

Truthfully, I don't see how it would hurt for you to send an email to the entire ABCA board, outlining everything you know with documentation, and asking them if there's anything they can do. The worst they'll say is no.. then again they might have the records to detail the transfer from the owner breeder to the broker to the new buyer..

Welcome to the Boards, and so sorry you've found yourself in this situation.

I second the recommendation to at least notify ABCA of everything you know about this situation. At the very least they may be able to identify this breeder as a high volume one. Not much perhaps, but at least some people will avoid purchasing based on that alone.

And I'd also recommend identifying both the breeder (most likely a puppy mill) and the broker who sold you the puppy. People like this need and deserve to be exposed IMO.

Sadly, the "broker" was an aquaintence of mine i hung out with everyday. She said she buys the puppies to get her "puppy fix", then sells them with no intention of keeping any.  When i told her its upsetting theyre still breeding dogs with bad temperment, she got nasty and said she would take the dog back..that im the only one that doesn't like their dog after over 50 puppies she's placed, and now she doesn't talk to me anymore.

His relatives in the area have issues with aggression towards other dogs, resource guarding of objects, toys, and even resource guarding owners. Most of them play in an inappropriate way/borderline aggression.

My dog unfortunatly is reactive to objects, reflections, noises, people, animals, dogs. He's the first i know of from the breeder with this type of issue. Luckily, he hasn't shown any sign of aggression other then food aggression that i've trained out.

At 5 months i'm not really sure if this is going to be a lifelong thing..that he'll just always be this way. He was well socialized as a pup, and i took him everywhere.

I'll wait on his ABCA papers in the mail and see what's on it. I didn't see an email on the ABCA website. 

Thanks for everyone's replies