BC Boards

A question for you lovely people

Hi guys 

well jinx is 13 weeks old and is now out and about walking and doing lots of mental activities, but each night we noticed she would come into the lounge with us but then bark and  keep jumping up, she has a bed in the lounge and her crate for bed in a quiet area, no matter what we did she wouldn’t settle, well the last couple of nights she has just gone to her crate in the quiet area at around 8pm and settled immediately, she gets up for a wee etc but then goes straight back herself,  I think she doesn’t like the noise of the tv and just wants silence, I felt awful thinking she shouldn’t be in the crate that long as she sleeps right through till 730 am. But she seems happier and it’s not being forced, she obviously has enough of us in the day and wants to be alone in the evening choosing not to sit with us lol.. is this normal behaviour. Thanks everyone Debbie 

Yes, I think this is normal behavior. She is settling, which is a good thing. My dogs will sometimes lay on the floor near me, but they will also go off in the bedroom, often into a crate, for some down time. I leave the crate door open. I wouldn’t feel bad if she chooses to go to her crate. She is choosing it as a desired spot.

Debbie, this seems entirely normal to me. Dogs sleep a lot more than humans do, and at least 2 of mine have settled a good distance away from me. Not had a super-clingy bc ever.

They all have a kept one ear alert for important cues, such as a human picking up car keys, or brushing against the leash that's hanging by the door. ;)

Ruth & Gibbs

ETA ~ b collies are dogs with a keen sense of personal space. Most of them do seem to have a need for 'privacy', for lack of a better word. That's not to say they're not affectionate and/or outgoing. They just seem to like a good amount of time to themselves.

You might be right regarding the tv. Mancer would never settle down as a puppy as long as I had the tv on with volume turned up. This was a bad thing for me, as I am a huge Flyers fan and their games obviously overlapped with a puppy's bedtime. I learned eventually that if I muted the volume she would relax and even go to sleep. I agree with the others that you probably have nothing to worry about. But if you believe the tv noise is bothering her you might want to consider trying out some wireless headphones. 

Thank you so much guys, she is a different pup now she’s getting peace and quiet, she still has her mad half hours throwing her food and water bowls around, using them like a skateboard across the deck, but once she’s in for the evening she puts herself to bed bless her. Thanks for you replies I just felt so guilty her being on her own but she loves it so all good. Debbie and jinx