BC Boards

New girlie jinx

Hi all, I have been reading your posts with interest and wanted to introduce myself my name is Debbie and this is our little girl jinx, she is now 13 wks  old, we got her when she was 8 weeks from a farm and during her time indoors and garden before her final injection and kennel cough vaccine we managed to get her house trained, she can sit, lie down and stay as well as leave when bringing toys etc, she also is very good at recall and as I live at the beach she often goes off lead when it’s quiet and comes back to the whistle. She also likes us to hide food in a small container and finds it every time letting us know by sitting down,  all in all a little beauty, my question is she now goes for walks and has mental stimulation but never seems to tire out lol mind you she does sleep in her crate from 11 till 730 am. She constantly tries to jump up next to me I have tried no and standing up with my back towards her but she just carries on. I’m at home with her most of the day only maybe leaving her for an hour or so which she is ok with but this constant jumping up goes on all the time. Any suggestions, thanks for listening Debbie & jinx

7A1F2A12-5419-4001-9493-B22F6A93A979.jpeg

4AC5E2CC-2261-4262-96B6-71E9BF4FD163.jpeg

Oh my. What a cutie - and smart too.

Ons suggestion is to have a chew toy or a semi-stuffed Kong handy for the next time she wants to jump up next to you. Maybe a bit of a distraction will help get the message across. But such a method may not totally 'cure' the behavior. These guys are persistent, and sometimes I have to resort to using a leash and tie them to a place where they can't bug you like that. Some people will use an X-pen to keep them contained at times.

We had exactly the same with ours and we are home all day too. We got him at 8 weeks and he drove us nuts with jumping and zoomies for the first 2/3 weeks we had him. We realised that our pup couldn’t switch off and needed to go into his crate for naps. So now our pup (now 20 weeks) is happy to go in his crate (I throw treats in and say rest time). It was more a case of him needing to be in the crate more than he was out of it - at first.

I also found this was the best way to deal with jumping up. Standing like a tree, saying ‘off’ or ‘no’ - it’s all a game to them. In those situations I pop him in his crate without saying anything. Five minutes normally does it. 

Ours also sleeps well at night. Usually 10pm to 7.30/8. After supper he has a chew (like a cow ear or bully stick) and is usually flaked out by 9pm. The more we helped him learn to rest in his crate the calmer he became. So he gets walks and play and training and chew toys but plenty of nap time too - even if he’s napping with his eyes open haha!

And he spends more time napping out of the crate now which I like better :)

Thanks guys for your replies, yes she has chews and rope toys plus treat balls, she plays with them for 5 mins then wants to be on the sofa with me or hubby lol Will keep up with her training hopefully it will catch on lol, I took her spare car crate into the lounge last night I left the door open and she settled ok and then went to her bed crate for the night. So hopefully this will work, will let you know. Thanks again guys xx

Cutie! 

You're doing the right move. It just doesn't always work right away. It takes maturity for the little brain to make the decision to do the, "right" thing. As long as you're consistent about what that right thing is, eventually, when she has that ability, she'll make that decision. So hang in there, keep doing what you're doing (don't let up for a second!) and eventually, she'll get it. Puppies are kind of a pain in the butt, right? But I think she'll get it when she has the ability to follow through on what she knows is right. B)