BC Boards

Breeder didn’t register litter

So my BC pup is over 5months now, and on the third request to ask about abca registration, the breeder made a Facebook post to mention that the paperwork to register the litter didn’t make it in the mail so she is starting the process again. She never bothered to answer me directly. Mind you, she has not even asked me the name that we gave the puppy. Doesn’t care how she’s doing or acknowledge updates. I’ve tried to interact kindly and patiently, but the feelings I had about this breeder early on seem to be correct. Does the ABCA care when a breeder claims she will register a litter and doesn’t follow through? 

The adult border collies at her place (4) we’re living in a muddy 10’x20’ enclosure and had essentially run a circle track into the ground just running laps. The 18 puppies were in an ammonia reeking dark shed. Right after all of the puppies were homed, she got rid of most of her breeding stock, and I see her interested in on buying other puppies in some of the groups I’m in. I imagine she got rid of her dogs so that when she went on her cross country motorcycle trip on the bike she bought with her litter money, she wouldn’t have to worry about the dogs.

My take away? ABCA will in no way guarantee quality. I got lucky and got a good pup anyway. I’ve met some AKC BC breeders who have done more stock work and betterment for breed quality than this ABCA breeder.

Well, no.  No registry is a guarantee of quality.   It's a registry.   It means you registered your dog with the organization, like you register your car.  It's to keep track of the dogs.    Registering your car doesn't mean it's a good car.   Registering your car as a Toyota doesn't mean it's a good Toyota. It means it's definitely a Toyota.

Though I will say from what I've seen ABCA TRIES and is responsive.  You've still got responsibility for who you give your money to.

9 hours ago, CptJack said:

You've still got responsibility for who you give your money to.

This is what I was thinking. I would not buy a dog from any place such as the one described, unless my intention was to rescue a puppy from bad conditions or something. (Which I wouldn't do either, but I can appreciate the good intentions behind it.) 

Wow, you're blaming ABCA for your poor choice in a breeder? Registries don't "guarantee" quality. Your own research does that. Everything you described about that breeder should have been a huge, waving red flag to you. And yet you bought a pup anyway. That's on you. The ABCA secretary is one person. She can't police the gazillion breeders out there.

J.

I know I deserve razzing for following through with bringing this pup home.  All of the red flags were there.  I would say the same to another person.  I should have kept the post and about the registration, but I was trying to add context to my concerns.  I'm frustrated.

This pup is a project dog for my son with ADHD.  He picked the breed and breeder.  I wanted a Belgian Tervuren, he wanted another Border Collie.  I researched AKC v ABCA and that was what we decided together.  The timing of the litter also worked very well, but we did have other options.  I discussed all of the red flags with him after we made an initial visit and told him we had the option to back out, and that would have been my vote.  I had previously put down a deposit, but didn't really care about that.  In addition, the pup was the only one of the litter that really showed outward fear.  I let him pick, and he decided to go through with this breeder, this litter, and this puppy.  I don't regret letting him choose his dog and it's all a learning experience for him.  Luckily I've got a very good, responsive, moderately high drive dog.  She adores the men of the house which they love, because normally the dogs cling to me.  She grew out of the fear and accepts dogs/strangers better than I could have ever dreamed after my last border collie.  Heck, she wags her tail and looks at the mail man adoringly.

I really don't mean to bash the ABCA.  Not my intent, and I'm sorry.  I respect what they do.  The breed is made to work and I can't provide the kind of work that adds to or assesses it's functionality, so I would never dream of breeding.  The registration isn't about that.

Manthaje, thanks for the fuller explanation. If I were you, I'd be somewhat seriously considering:

1) Keeping an eye out for another 'ABCA border collie pups for sale!' and then  ~  2) Writing a review on Yelp,  and 3) Touching base with Animal Control/Welfare in HER area. If conditions that you saw are that horrific, Animal Control/Welfare might have other reports on file about her. You could add yours! 

If I think of anything else, I'll post them if you like.

Ruth & Gibbs

I am glad you got a dog that suits you from a bad breeder. Having said that, based on what you say the dog's purpose is, is registration necessary? I know it would be nice (and when one buys a purebred dog, having it registered is usually expected), but it sounds like it may not happen.

One of life's lessons.

1 hour ago, gcv-border said:

I am glad you got a dog that suits you from a bad breeder. Having said that, based on what you say the dog's purpose is, is registration necessary? I know it would be nice (and when one buys a purebred dog, having it registered is usually expected), but it sounds like it may not happen.

One of life's lessons.

I was about to ask that and wondered whether the dog needed to be registered i.e. for a specific type of work or for their own business or whatever.   Then I spotted the puppy was bought as a project for her son with ADHD and now I have clue at all.

• 1 month later...

I am curious as to how old your son is because if he is young it is your job to make the big decisions but I do understand that young boys are hard to counsel when they have their mind set on something. I have two BC, one rescue and the other from my uncle who farms sheep and breeds on the side. If you're not working your BC and not breeding her then ABCA registration is not necessary. I personally think a working BC is to much responsibility for a kid because these dogs really deserve a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. Anyways, please report this woman if you get a chance in the future and I wish all of you including the pup lots of love

We got a border collie for similar reasons :)

My son doesn't have ADHD, but was sinking into depression, looking back now I think we all were. He wanted a Husky :wacko:. Anyway, our boy has changed all of our lives so much for the better, the change in mood was almost instantaneous. And of course my son isn't solely responsible, we all share the workload joy.

I'm not in America so no ABCA registration to worry about. I think where I am registration is just for breeders show dogs and competitive sheep dogs.