BC Boards

Constantly licking paws/legs

LauraV

Well it's been awhile since I've been on here (super busy). My bc Scotty is miserable. He was diagnosed with allergies about a month ago. Was given apoquel, didn't work. Got the cytopoint injection, nothing. Then the vet did a skin scrape, and he had a bacterial infection. Treated for that. Still itching. After speaking with the vet, we both agreed it has turned into OCD. He is currently on amitriptyline, and we haven't seen any improvement at this point. He has been on it over a week. We have a shed defender on him and his paws are wrapped in medical wrap. We tried a cone, and it just doesn't work for him. He is a very sensitive dog. We are at a complete loss. He is so miserable and constantly biting his legs and feet if they aren't covered. He gets an intense stare when he looks at his paws, and I can't break him from it. When we have him busy i.e. walks, herding, playing, agility, etc, he is ok. When he isn't doing something, he goes at it. Realistically, we can't keep him occupied 24/7. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what finally helped? 

2 minutes ago, Tommy Coyote said:

Did anyone suggest prozac?  I have been reading that it can really help canine OCD.

I have OCD and it got really bad.  I went on prozac for 8 months and it worked. 

That is probably the next step. His personality is taking a huge hit. When he has something to do, he is his happy go lucky self. When he doesn't, he is depressed and focused on chewing himself raw. I'm calling the vet tomorrow to see if Prozac is still an option for him. We all hate seeing our furry family members suffer. He has had such a rough start at life. I just want him happy. 

I took care of a Shelty one time that was a mess from allergies and her owner was just blowing it off.   That dog looked awful and she was miserable.   So I took her to the vet myself. 

I think she was on antibiotics for bacteria, anti fungal for yeast and a round of pred.   It worked.   She looked like a different dog when her owner got home. 

5 minutes ago, Tommy Coyote said:

Have you seen a dermatologist?  There might still be something making him itch.  Did they treat for yeast along with the bacteria?

I think I would see a dermatologist for something that severe.

That's what I was thinking to do next. See a dermatologist. However, this definitely looks like OCD. He was treated with the strongest anti-itch medication possible. Even if there was an underlying condition, he wouldn't be doing this. It's pretty bad. If I tell him not to lick his paws, sometimes he will lick the floor or even the air. It's so sad to watch. He is only a year and a half. Such a great dog, and he's going through this. 

Have you had allergy skin tests done and followed up with desensitization shots?

Years ago I had a Lab mix with severe late summer/fall seasonal allergies that were just awful. He'd chew his forelegs raw and bloody until we had a killing frost.

We had the skin tests done and subsequent desensitization. I gave him allergy shots for years.

Desensitization tends to work well in about a third of patients, somewhat in another third and not at all in a third. He (and later I when I developed allergies) fell in the middle third, which provided enough relief that along with antihistamines and prednisone during his allergy season kept things manageable, though he was still itchy. Eventually as he got older it lessened.

If you haven't gone this route, I'd strongly recommend considering it.

OCD sometimes has an anxiety component. My Shoshone did great on clomicalm, the generic version was pretty inexpensive. Good luck, this must be hard to watch.

Ruth & Gibbs

ETA ~ if you can swing it financially, take him to a veterinary dermatologist as well, just to cover all the bases. If he DOES have an environmental or food allergy, and it's  not only behavioral, you'll need to treat both.

Ruth & Gibbs

18 minutes ago, urge to herd said:

OCD sometimes has an anxiety component. My Shoshone did great on clomicalm, the generic version was pretty inexpensive. Good luck, this must be hard to watch.

Ruth & Gibbs

ETA ~ if you can swing it financially, take him to a veterinary dermatologist as well, just to cover all the bases. If he DOES have an environmental or food allergy, and it's  not only behavioral, you'll need to treat both.

Ruth & Gibbs

He is definitely my most anxious dog. He is very sensitive as well. If what my vet suggests doesn't work, a dermatologist is the next step.  We did use very strong allergy medication with no avail. Literally did nothing. He does have other OCD tendencies which makes this more likely also OCD. It is just so sad to watch him struggle to just lay still.