BC Boards

Gibbs has been having a medical summer. First the knee, happily remedied by the ultra concentrated fish oil, and then the left eye. These two issues overlapped a bit, of course. The receptionist at my local vet knows my voice on the phone now, no need to tell her who it is. 

He was rubbing his left eye, and only his left eye, several times a day w/his foreleg. When I pulled down the lids, it was pretty red. Vet vist #1, vet couldn't find any foreign bodies and diagnosed conjunctivitis, and Gibbs got antibiotic drops in that eye for a week.

Didn't make much of a difference.  Vet visit # 2 he got anesthetized and both eyes examined very thoroughly, stained to check for abrasions, no foreign bodies.  Vet tells me he's done everything he can, next step is an ophthalmologist.

So, since that last visit, the eye rubbing has been much less, and the redness has cleared. Until this a.m. of course. The left eye is not as red as it was a couple weeks ago, but it's pinker than his right eye.

I was thinking for a while that it might be allergies ~ there's a TON of crap in the air from all the fires, and then there's the seasonal pollen surge. But would it affect one eye more than the other? 

Calling vet today to get name of doggy ophthalmologist.

Ruth & Gibbs

Both as an allergy sufferer myself and the owner of a past dog with severe allergies, the only reason I can think that only one eye would be affected by an allergic reaction would be if the allergen got into only one eye. But that could also be the case if it was just an irritant of some type and not allergies.

Not sure if this will help or not, but doubtful it would hurt -- I love Halo's Cloud Nine herbal eyewash kit. It has droppers of eyebright and goldenseal tinctures and another bottle for diluting them. I've used it a lot when Bodhi gets red or goopy eyes, which he does often, and for eye infections in other dogs as well. We'd get them a lot when I was fostering for one rescue in particular. It's saved us a trip to the vet more than once.

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Cloud-Natural-Herbal-0-25oz/dp/B0015QUY36/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Gibbs may have something more serious going on, but like I said, I doubt this could hurt. I get it at a local health food store, but it's available on many sites online.

Sending some good mojo for Gibbs, and for you, too, Ruth. This has got to be getting old by now.

GL, thanks for your answer. I forgot to add that the last week or so the itching has subsided quite a bit. Which is why I posted asking about an allergen(s) affecting only one eye. So very puzzling.

Still going to get the ophthalmologist's name #. Thanks for the info about the eye drops, will see if I can find it here. Mail order if need be, just to have it on hand.

Ruth & Gibbs

One of mine has  pannus, an autoimmune eye disease. Though both eyes are affected, sometimes the left, sometimes the right is worse. It isn't curable, but manageable with cortisone eye drops ( now almost constantly) and occasional ab, and anti fungal medication. I am afraid it is a slowly losing battle, but so far so good, she is eight years old now.

Gibbs' left remains a bit pink, but much less than a couple months ago. He's not rubbing at it at all, and I've been home for the last several days, so would have noticed. We've been having unseasonably cool weather. Last year on Labor Day Weekend the temp was 110 and a bit. A transformer for my mobile home park had a literal melt down, and we were without power for 48 hours.

These last few weeks it's been hovering in the 70s most days. I'm having to get my extra blanket out! Perhaps with the cooler weather there's less crap in the air.

GL, will be ordering the eye wash today. Can't hurt, might help.

Smalahundur, thank you for that info. I'll be doing some research on that and keeping a close watch on G for the next little while. 

Ruth & Gibbs

• 1 month later...

Gibbs' eyes update ~ his right eye has become inflamed and itchy, with the addition of some yellow-greenish discharge, which I know means infection. His left eye is much better, but still bugs him from time to time. So, we're off to see the doggy ophthalmologist on Oct 22. That's the first available opening, but I'm on the cancellation list.

In the meantime, the receptionist has recommended that I use moist, warm compresses on his eyes, then put Systane gel drops in them. This stuff is over the counter, so that's a gift. Both eyes, 2x/day. This has relieved the inflammation a LOT, and he's not rubbing/itching nearly as much as he was.

Hopefully I'll be able to get him in sooner than the 22nd. At least I can do something to help him feel better in the meantime.

Ruth & Gibbs

PS to Smalahundar ~  I just looked up pannus and it does seem like it fits Gibb' symptoms. He's had some clouding of the cornea for the last several months, seems to see well, though. I thought it was related to aging, but now . . . I'll post another update when I see the dr. Thanks for the tip.

I hope it isn't pannus for your dog's sake, rather something cureable.

My Glàma's eyes have deteriorated the last months, she clearly has impaired vision right now. So bad that she isn't able to work. And this is happening alltough she is fully on meds. Before her bad spells (she has never been as bad as now) were controllable with medication. It seems to have stopped working. I have a glimmer of hope she might improve a bit over the coming winter (dark, no dust) as she was always better in the wintertime, but frankly I am preparing for the worst.

I hope your Gibbs makes a full recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

Had our visit with the veterinary ophthalmologist and he's probably allergic to dust, etc. We live fairly close to a large area of land that has recently been clear cut and is being graded for construction. And within a mile or so is a dairy farm - the odors from that are very noticeable on warm days. I figure if the odors make it that far so can dust.

So, he's got a prescription eye drop, NeoPolyDex 2x/day, and an over the counter human one, Systane, 2x/day. It's helping a lot, thank goodness. We go back for a re-check the day before Thanksgiving.

He's tolerating the eye drops pretty well, with the aid of a treat or brief game of fetch right after.

Thanks for your support ~ 

Ruth & Gibbs