BC Boards

11 Week old puppy

I have an 11-week old border collie puppy.  He can be a handful.  

I have had him for 3 weeks now.  He has been restricted to the one room in the house that the

majority of the family spends their time in.  As his manners increase so will his house privileges. 

This issue is the two cats.  They like to come into the room as well but they are older cats and I am afraid of the

puppy's energy might be too much for them.  They have met and touch noses but very great caution while the puppy was on the leash.  

I would like them to be able to hang out together in the same room.    Any suggestions on how to make this situation work?  

“As his manners increase so will his house privileges”

Apply that to the cats too. Don’t allow him to interact with cats in situations where he can practice undesirable behavior towards the cats. It may take until the puppy is 7+ months old, but for a lifetime of getting along with cats, it will be worth it right now. 

Make sure that the cats have a place they can easily get to at all times, which is out of reach of the dog. A tall scratching post with a top platform, for instance. Don't allow the puppy to harass the cats,  as this can turn into long term behavior that you don't want to encourage. Limit the time that the cats are in the same room with the puppy, and allow them to decide whether or not they want to be in there. Watch the cats, and intervene if they seem annoyed or stressed out - the cats need to be able to set their own limits and boundaries and have you back them up on all of those things. Let this take the time it needs. They will probably end up being able to live peacefully together, but the dog needs to learn cat manners and the cats need to know that they are not at the mercy of the dog.

Welcome to the BC Boards!