BC Boards

Blind deaf double merle games

Guest Krisrath11

Guest Krisrath11

Hi I have a blind deaf double merle border collie I got a few weeks ago. He is very smart, already walking on a leash, potty trained, crate trained, almost have sit, and we have overcome food aggression. This is his first indoor home and he's now 7 months old. I really need some advice on games that border collies like to play that stimulate their mind and use energy that he could play. I know he needs to do something as when he gets bored he spins and chases his tail. 

A friend who has a couple blind/deaf double merles (one of whom is a therapy dog) has told me there are some forums that you might be interested in.

She says:

There's a blind-deaf dogs Yahoo group.  It's not a very active list, but they are very helpful.

Most of the other Facebook and Yahoo groups I belong to related to deaf and blind dogs are for double merles.  A lot of general deafblind dog stuff is discussed on those lists, as well, but double merle specific topics come up a lot too.

If they are interested, there is a lethal white Aussie Yahoo group and a double merle Facebook, both of which are great.

Yahoo groups:  Blind Deaf Dogs and Lethal White Aussies
Facebook: Double Merles

First, welcome to the forum, and thanks for taking in this dog. I think scent work is a great idea. Here, there are nose work classes you can take with your dog; maybe you could check to see if there are any where you live. Another thought is to search the web for interactive toys that don't require eyesight. Perhaps feed kibble in one of those devices the dog has to manipulate in order to get food. Continuing with training sit, lie down, stay, and other basics is also good. Who knows, you might be able to teach this dog to do a lot of things.

Best of luck to you!