BC Boards

Is my BC ok?

Guest jasonlhs

Guest jasonlhs

Hi everyone this is Jason from Hong Kong, I am new to this forum and got my female BC called Nana in about 1 month ago. She was by then about 2 - 2.5 months old and weighted 2.1 kg (4.62 lbs) an she's only 3.5kg (7.7 lbs) now after one month, but her size doesn't have any obvious change as in height and length. 

She's currently eating the regular puppy petfood from Vigor & Sage and feeding her 200g per day in 3 meals after consulting the vet (she only ate about 80g per day before we went to the vet a week ago as we followed the feeding guide at the back of the package). However, she poops a lot after eating more food (about 6-8 times a day), but the texture is not too soft.

I am just concerning about her growth rate and wanna see if I can do anything to improve on it. Cheers a lot guys!

ce7098f5-0bd4-496f-855e-163211002d08.jpg

4b2029af-ac10-4064-9b16-59ae33848380.jpg

Jason, welcome to the BC Boards. You'll have better luck with questions about your girl, (very, very cute) if you post them in the 'General Border Collie' section, or the 'Health' section. Scroll down a bit and you'll find those.

This section is for working border collies, so the 'Ask the Expert' page is specifically for questions about working with sheep, cattle, etc.

Ruth & Gibbs

On 8/24/2018 at 2:55 AM, Guest jasonlhs said:

Hi everyone this is Jason from Hong Kong, I am new to this forum and got my female BC called Nana in about 1 month ago. She was by then about 2 - 2.5 months old and weighted 2.1 kg (4.62 lbs) an she's only 3.5kg (7.7 lbs) now after one month, but her size doesn't have any obvious change as in height and length. 

She's currently eating the regular puppy petfood from Vigor & Sage and feeding her 200g per day in 3 meals after consulting the vet (she only ate about 80g per day before we went to the vet a week ago as we followed the feeding guide at the back of the package). However, she poops a lot after eating more food (about 6-8 times a day), but the texture is not too soft.

I am just concerning about her growth rate and wanna see if I can do anything to improve on it. Cheers a lot guys!

Jason, how certain are you that she is a border collie? Did you see or meet her parents?

By her looks, and if she weights in at only about 8 pounds at around 3.5 months old, I suspect she is a Shetland Sheepdog. Which is fine! It just may mean she will never be a big dog.  :)

~ Gloria
P.S.
Oops, looks like Jason is gone ...

She's very cute, but very small for a border collie, and the shape of her head and eyes looks different to me.

Honestly, when I saw the picture I thought it looked like some sort of toy dog, or maybe someone trying to create a "miniature" border collie by crossing a border collie with a toy breed of some sort the way some people did when creating a miniature Australian shepherd.

Overfeeding can cause soft stools. And I'd caution against trying to speed up growth. Too fast growth can cause skeletal problems in some dogs. She'll attain her full growth potential if fed adequately for slower sustained growth.

Enjoy her no matter how big she gets to be.

Hi Jason. Your dog is extremely cute, but by her looks and size I don't think she is a border collie at all. Not that it matters, she looks like a great little dog and I hope you enjoy her. If, indeed, she turns out to be a sheltie you will have a bright trainable small dog with a beautiful coat, so no worries. :-)