BC Boards

Outside Kennel Help

I am a little worried that Tucker will dig out of my 10X10 outdoor kennel. I would like to put down a concrete pad for the kennel to sit on but at $1600.00 its a little pricey for me. My next idea was treated wood flooring which I could do for around $150.00 but I am not sure if treated wood is toxic to dogs if they chew on it. I have searched the boards but have not found anything that dog owners seem to prefer outside of concrete. I could use some help on what works for a kennel floor without having to mortgage my house to do it

Over 20 years ago we laid down Typar which is a permeable cloth used as roadbed foundation.  We used pressure-treated 4x4s for the edging.  We covered the Typar with 2x2 wire mesh to prevent digging and then lined the whole thing with gravel.  It's held up pretty well over the years but the wire mesh has begun to rust and parts of it have been removed.  We don't have any serious diggers in our pack at the moment so it's not a great concern.  Keeping the gravel tidy can be a bit of an issue.  Good luck!

Amy

I have recently seen 2 different options. I haven't tried either so have no input on how well either works.

One option: Buying inexpensive 12" X 12" concrete pavers from Lowe's or HD. Install them in a double row around the side(s) of the fence. (or I could see the fence installed directly on top of the pavers if it can be installed so as not to topple over.) I saw the double row of pavers in a large dog yard where the dogs ran the fence. The pavers prevented not only some digging at the fence, but also prevented the mud path resulting from the dogs' fence-running.

The 2nd option: I saw a 10 X 10 kennel installed directly on top of 3' X 6' stall mats. The kennel was positioned so that each side ran down the middle of each stall mat. There were no stall mats in the middle area, which was filled with pebbles. The owner figured the stall mats (which protruded 18" on both sides of each panel) would prevent digging and would stop the grass growing over the bottom bar of each panel.

22 hours ago, gcv-border said:

The 2nd option: I saw a 10 X 10 kennel installed directly on top of 3' X 6' stall mats. The kennel was positioned so that each side ran down the middle of each stall mat. There were no stall mats in the middle area, which was filled with pebbles. The owner figured the stall mats (which protruded 18" on both sides of each panel) would prevent digging and would stop the grass growing over the bottom bar of each panel.

This sounds interesting. Thank you I will have to look into this.