BC Boards

Our pup had his 16 week check up today. He weighs 27lb and is certainly tracking above the line for an above average weight of BC. Our vet says he will probably be a 60lb adult male - not chunky but very tall. 60lb seems a lot doesn’t it???

4B894B18-84C0-4160-8A1D-5503319E38C4.jpeg

It's definitely on the high side but I knew a 1 year old who was a very lean and lanky 70 lbs . . . and surely gained a couple pounds as he matured and filled out.

So cute. The general rule I have heard is to double the 4 month weight to estimate the adult weight. Having said that, there are so many exceptions to that 'rule', you must take it with a grain of salt.

15 hours ago, ShellyF said:

Our pup had his 16 week check up today. He weighs 27lb and is certainly tracking above the line for an above average weight of BC. Our vet says he will probably be a 60lb adult male - not chunky but very tall. 60lb seems a lot doesn’t it???

Wow! That is a good 7lb heavier than ours. Our little boy was one of the smallest in his litter but not knowing any other collie puppies I have nothing to compare him too.

Your boy is beautiful. Our boys ears have also both dropped now, although every so often one sticks up. He also seems to have huge 'knees', hoping that isn't a sign of future problems.

Hope you don't mind if I post a pic of our pup.

Jupiter.jpg.249675e273f755fc8e3fad1802995543.jpg

They seem to have a very similar look :)

Yes we have the one ear up and one down thing going on lol! I hope that stays haha!

My favorite ear set is fully pricked, but mismatched ears are a close second. My late Tilly had one up and one down. :wub:

On 8/10/2018 at 12:30 PM, jami74 said:

Wow! That is a good 7lb heavier than ours. Our little boy was one of the smallest in his litter but not knowing any other collie puppies I have nothing to compare him too.

Your boy is beautiful. Our boys ears have also both dropped now, although every so often one sticks up. He also seems to have huge 'knees', hoping that isn't a sign of future problems.

Hope you don't mind if I post a pic of our pup.

Jupiter.jpg.249675e273f755fc8e3fad1802995543.jpg

Such gorgeous puppies you both have! My Mancer is only 29 lbs at 18 months now. Of course females are typically smaller, but it seems that BCs come in a very wide range of sizes. Also, Mancer's ears were mostly floppy as a pup, with the occasional one up, one down look which was so cute. I was hoping they would always be that way, but these days when something catches her attention they both go up.