BC Boards

Is this really a thing?

I keep hearing people say that there need to be laws against breeding as long as there are dogs in shelters. (I of course disagree because I know that would spell the end for all working dogs.) But I am curious if this is actually a thing? Is that something that could happen or has in certain places, or is it just talk? 

Well, I don't know who is saying that; it is not something I personally have heard, and to me it is an extremist view. There  are reasons for having purebred dogs and horses and other animals and I have no problem with that. However, those reasons to me have to do, and should only have to do, with the animal's function and/or position in a person's life and not primarily with its appearance. 

The problem comes with irresponsible breeding, and unfortunately I think that the majority of people breeding purebred dogs (and many other animals) are doing so improperly and irresponsibly in many different ways. 

17 minutes ago, D'Elle said:

Well, I don't know who is saying that; it is not something I personally have heard, and to me it is an extremist view.

It's a statement the more radical types of rescue people will often post on their social media. I've never heard of breeding being banned anywhere or anything like that being done though, so I'm guessing it's just talk?

21 minutes ago, D'Elle said:

unfortunately I think that the majority of people breeding purebred dogs (and many other animals) are doing so improperly and irresponsibly in many different ways. 

Ain't that the truth. Ethical breeders do exist but they're hard to come by in my experience. I guess that's why some people don't realize that if someone says their dog came from a breeder, that doesn't by default mean it's a puppy mill dog. 

2 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Well, I don't know who is saying that; it is not something I personally have heard, and to me it is an extremist view. There  are reasons for having purebred dogs and horses and other animals and I have no problem with that.

I would have quite a lot against that. For starters, my working bc, is not registered at the ISDS, just at the icelandic stockdog organization. That would make it a "mutt" in the eyes of the only organization that has conned politicians into the belief they are the only authority  as regards to dog breeding, the FCI. They have managed to get legislation across in Belgium, that only " pure breeds" are allowed to breed. Road to ruin.

I posted recently in another thread about new laws which have come into force in South Australia about 6 weeks ago requiring all dogs and cats to be microchipped by 12 weeks of age and neutered or spayed by the age of 6 months, unless you meet one of various exceptions.  You can become a registered breeder by paying an annual fee (which is about $50 from memory) to a state wide authority, but there is no requirement for health checks, DNA testing, or breeding pure breed dogs.

This plan was the result of a "citizen jury" process, and is supposedly designed to decrease the number of feral cats (not a bad thing in my opinion) and BYBs, and to decrease the demand for animal shelters as there will be fewer dogs bred.

Of course, the question becomes one of enforcement...