BC Boards

Has anyone tried Sileo for thunderphobia?

Our border collie, Gomer, is so dang scared of storms, and it just gets worse as he ages. We've tried natural remedies, the Thundershirt, Xanax, Klonopin, and now Trazodone. The Trazodone seems to be helping a little but we're struggling with getting to the right dose. I've recently heard about Sileo, which is specifically for dogs with noise aversion. I have one friend who's tried it on her terriers and swears by it, but I was wondering if anyone with an extremely thunder-phobic Border Collie has tried it.

Thank

6 minutes ago, GentleLake said:

Have you tried doing a search? I'm sure it's been discussed in another thread, and IIRC one of the vets on the Boards contributed to the conversation.

Thanks for the suggestion! There are only a couple of threads and they're 2 years old.

I looked into Sileo but gave up on that idea when I saw the cost.  And it only lasts 3 or 4 hours.  But the reviews were really good.  People said the dog just wasn't nervous any more.  That would be nice 

My dogs get Trazodone 100 mg.  My 32 lb. dog gets 1 pill and my 40 + lb. boys get 1 and a half.   It lasts about 12 hours.

1 hour ago, Tommy Coyote said:

I looked into Sileo but gave up on that idea when I saw the cost.  And it only lasts 3 or 4 hours.  But the reviews were really good.  People said the dog just wasn't nervous any more.  That would be nice 

My dogs get Trazodone 100 mg.  My 32 lb. dog gets 1 pill and my 40 + lb. boys get 1 and a half.   It lasts about 12 hours.

Tommy, our guy weighs about 45 lbs and when we tried 100 mg on him, he got so extremely sedated that we had a hard time waking him up. Maybe we just need to try again. I’m also going to ask our vet about Sileo. 

I wouldn't try again until you talk to your vet.  He may be having a bad reaction to the drug. 

My dogs just mostly sleep but they wake up right away and are alert .  

May not be the right drug for you.  Have you tried xanax?  That works pretty well for some dogs.   Just plain old melatonin works for some dogs.  Just be sure it does not have xylitol in it.  For some reason some companies are adding xylitol and that is very toxic to dogs and cats.

All my dogs have been scared of thunder. My vet told me I could give them 1 mg/lb of body weight of Benedryl ~ generic is diphenhydramine. Knocks my current boy out if I give my current boy the whole dose, so he gets 1/2 to 3/4 of a pill. Very inexpensive if you buy generic, and there's a children's liquid version. That's easier for some people.

Ruth & Gibbs

Re Trazodone, my vet has me work up to the 100 mg for my 55 lb Aussie/BC mix by giving her 50 mg per day for three days prior to the 4th of July (when she needs it), then 100 mg on the 4th and on the ‘festive’ days that follow.

4th of July is a BIG day here, too. And, New Year's Eve there are fireworks about 6 -7 miles away that we hear very clearly, thank you. I always have benedryl in the house. It's OTC, and I'll take a half of one if I'm having trouble sleeping. Great stuff.

And, a friend's dog is seriously allergic to wasp stings. Her vet told her to keep liquid benedryl on hand, (I think you're supposed to keep it in the fridge) and if Pony gets bitten again, to give her about 30 mg and THEN get her to the vet. So good for a lot of things.

Ruth & Gibbs

Thanks for all the advice and responses. I’m definitely planning on talking to our vet. We are fortunate that she is willing to work with us to find the right solution. We did try Xanax; it works but can wear off quickly. Benadryl has zero effect. I did hear about the dosage issues with Sileo, which convinced me to try Trazodone first. We’ll just keep plugging away at it until we figure it out.