BC Boards

Training question

ShellyF

I posted this on the training board but no luck with a response so perhaps someone on this board may have some ideas for me. 

My 16 week pup had a training breakthrough. I’ve been kicking soft socker balls around for him in his fenced in yard to get him enjoying playing with the balls.  He loves them! About two weeks ago I noticed him start to focus on the balls, give them the eye and then rush to pounce on them at the last minute. I have managed to time a ‘lie down’ command to the point where I suspected he was about to lie down anyway and low and behold he can now do several ‘lie downs’ from a stand, with me commanding him from a distance. I was chuffed.  As his next natural move is to then rush the ball and pounce on it I am not sure what command to focus on next. My ultimate goal is for him to herd the balls into a net. This won’t be for competition but as an opportunity for us to ‘work’ together. I have read lots of training books but am interested in opinions based upon what he is naturally wanting to do after a lie down e.g. rush the ball.

He is definitely looking at me for a command so I have tried to say ‘walk on’. He definitely waits for a command and will respond to ‘yes’ before haring after the ball. I think he can cope with another step :) Thanks in anticipation. 

It is, although I won’t be competing. I have read up about the training but as with all things with dogs, the steps to take in reality aren’t quite a match with the dog and the books hahaha!

just curious to hear what others might focus on as the next key command :)

If anyone is reading this thread and is wondering what did happen next, well I have managed to train him to lie down, then walk on, then to stand, then lie down again, then I kick the ball and say ‘yay’ because i’m So excited he’s getting it right haha! I know that’s probably the wrong thing to do but we are slowly getting there. 

I enjoy reading all the threads on these boards and keep picking up helpful hints.

Many thanks to those who make time to give these tips :) 

My then very young puppy was driving me nuts and pretended not to hear or understand because "I'm just a fluffy puppy me..." but would soon switch on and let me know just what she understood and didn't when I took her out to the field for a kick-about with the football.  

Even when still a fluff-ball puppy, Pud quickly proved to be a very very strong minded sheepdog so I needed her to be focused and switched on in a heartbeat if needed and the one time she listened intently to every word, followed your every word and never missed a beat was when she had her eye on the football and knew doing as you asked came with the reward of being allowed to herd it.   Some will swear blind this is the worst thing you could possibly do / insist it can increase aggression and further encourage chasing but if the instinct is there - it's there for good so better to work with nature than try fighting against it.  Won't win anyway I'm afraid it's far bigger than us!

Distinctly remember my husband and kids insisting I was being harsh in thinking she was just flat out ignoring me and saying she was just too young to understand what I wanted and then going "Yeah?  OK you sit there and watch this"

Ball came out and "Bing" she kicked in instantly.  Sent her off wide after it in all directions, made her go after it slowly and then let her steam and dive on it / kicked it the full length of a field and "Leave it!" and she dropped and didn't move - even when I gave it a good boot rolling it right under her nose as in literally 2cm away just one "Don't touch / leave" and she didn't move or let her nose physically touch it.  Crafty sod :ph34r:

Used the football, my horse's jolly ball and tennis balls to get her instantly reacting to anyone that gave one loud "Liedown!!" even in flat out mid-chase so no matter what she will stop, drop and stay put unless and until she's given the nod.  

My youngest BC came from one of the UK's leading trainers, triallists and ISDS judge who we get on brilliantly with and who loved Puddi the second he clapped eyes on her but was exasperated to see her playing with a tennis ball in the paddock when we first met.  "You should never let them get focused on tennis balls. never...   I need the dogs to be fixed and focused on the job watching the  sheep not looking at me - when you start letting them play with a tennis ball like that they keep focused on you and it's hard to stop"

"Well yeah...but she isn't a worker and you just said yourself she's a strong sheepdog so I need her focused on me  That's why she's not tear-arsing after your sheep as we speak.. finds me more interesting!"

He smirked and went "Oh yeah... That's a  good point actually.  Fair play I'll let you have that" :D :D 

This short video of my two has Puddi out with me in the field at 10-weeks when I realised ball-work was the way forward with her.  Very first bit is her herding the ball and responding beautifully.    :) 

Sorry forgot to add - the focus was then switched from the ball to just responding purely to voice or whistles which is something I always recommend people try to do if possible.  One of the most horrifying things is seeing a dog set off running after something with its poor owner frantically fumbling and searching for a whistle or clicker or whatever they used.   Learning to do a good loud two-fingered "whooop-whooooop!!" can be a lifesaver 

Another thing I learned by accident is that many dogs respond quicker to the sound of a standard sports ref whistle more so than a proper dog whistle :blink:

I have my horses trained to come down to the bottom field gate to one so we're not clambering over the gate and traipsing a mile and half across the field to get them.   It's surprising how many dogs have come bounding over to me when they heard it.  Whether it's the shrill sound of the cork warbling I don't know but they certainly heard it anyway  :)  

I really appreciate this and your pup in the video reminds me so much of mine lol! 

Our ball games in the yard have really come along. He’ll do several ‘walk on’ and ‘lie down’ s and then I kick the ball as his reward. He loves it. It’s also a good barometer for how he is feeling. On hot days he usually just lies in the shade and watches me haha! 

Started today teaching ‘come by’ and ‘away’. 

Side note, he’s coping so much better with traffic on our walks by doing a ‘lie down’ while the car goes past and then I give him the ‘walk on’ command. 

Aren’t they just a joy to train! 

38 minutes ago, ShellyF said:

I really appreciate this and your pup in the video reminds me so much of mine lol! 

Our ball games in the yard have really come along. He’ll do several ‘walk on’ and ‘lie down’ s and then I kick the ball as his reward. He loves it. It’s also a good barometer for how he is feeling. On hot days he usually just lies in the shade and watches me haha! 

Started today teaching ‘come by’ and ‘away’. 

Side note, he’s coping so much better with traffic on our walks by doing a ‘lie down’ while the car goes past and then I give him the ‘walk on’ command. 

Aren’t they just a joy to train! 

Puddi was a right little &*£! until I learned to step back and let her take the lead and maybe teach me a thing or two which she did.  Almost overnight we turned a corner and she became the best teacher, trainer and friend I ever had.  Pain in my rear end until that point but that's what happens when you choose smart dogs :D :D

Would love to hear how you're doing though keep us posted! 

Puddi fluffball.jpg

Puddi sheep.jpg

3 minutes ago, Baderpadordercollie said:

@Parly Well hey, fancy seeing you here!

- Sarah and Brèagha 

I KNEW IT WAS YOU!!!  Clocked the name and thought "It has to be... can't be another Breagha it must be" but thought I'd hang fire and see if you recognised us first :D

Well yeah you can't miss them really I guess.. have that distinctive "Mmleeh" face about them!!    Same with you I thought "That's Breagha as in BREAGHA Breagha it must be....I won't ask yet cos I'm new"