BC Boards

A sheep that herds Border Collies?

This is going to come across as kind of snarky and I really don't mean it to, but:

I think pretty much ever mammal plays.  Especially but not exclusively when young. 

Youtube has TONS of cute happy videos of sheep playing though!  And now I've fallen into the hole of watching all of them.

2 minutes ago, CptJack said:

This is going to come across as kind of snarky and I really don't mean it to, but:

I think pretty much ever mammal plays.  Especially but not exclusively when young. 

Youtube has TONS of cute happy videos of sheep playing though!  And now I've fallen into the hole of watching all of them.

Oh yeah, you're right about the tons of cute videos. I saw this sheep video yesterday:

Do you ever watch The Dodo? I've been feeling pretty down the last few days after suffering a loss and have been using their videos to force my thoughts onto happier things.

That sheep is playing, not "herding."

Keep in mind that herding implies intent. Saying this sheep is herding the dog is as inaccurate as saying border collies nipping at heels are herding. :rolleyes:

Yes, sheep can be playful. Young lambs are especially playful and so much fun to watch playing.

11 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Love those videos.

I Like sheep; they are appealing critters. Now I am going to be lost in watching silly cute sheep videos today.

Yeah, I didn't know they could be so cute!

Now it's my one life goal to teach a sheep to herd some Border Collies haha. (I'm joking.)

14 hours ago, GentleLake said:

That sheep is playing, not "herding."

Keep in mind that herding implies intent. Saying this sheep is herding the dog is as inaccurate as saying border collies nipping at heels are herding. :rolleyes:

Yes, sheep can be playful. Young lambs are especially playful and so much fun to watch playing.

Apologies if my question came across as offensive. Such was not my intent. Also I was half joking but maybe this community isn't the right place for that? I'm new here so I'm still figuring out what is expected of me. I'm a pretty peaceful person that likes to get along with everybody. I hate stepping on anybody's toes, you know?

No offense taken. And it's OK to have some fun here. It wasn't my intent to be critical, just to be accurate.

But the whole misconception about border collies "herding" children, cats, people's feet, etc. gets a little old at times, especially when we have to keep unraveling that myth to ppl all the time. There was just a thread about it where the OP couldn't see it and left the Boards as a result.

Besides, a sheep playing with dogs like that is entertaining enough just calling it what it is. :D

15 hours ago, GentleLake said:

No offense taken. And it's OK to have some fun here. It wasn't my intent to be critical, just to be accurate.

But the whole misconception about border collies "herding" children, cats, people's feet, etc. gets a little old at time, especially when we have to keep unraveling that myth to ppl ll the time. There was just a thread about it where the OP couldn't see it and left the Boards as a result.

Besides, a sheep playing with dogs like that is entertaining enough just calling it what it is. :D

Edit, changed my mind and edited my post accordingly.

Carry on, bigots.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:09 AM, starry777 said:

Carry on, bigots.

I must say that one of the more puzzling things I've read this year.

This funny frolicking is very characteristic of sheep particularly early in the morning. Often, when I take the sheep out to the pasture that's the first thing they do when they go enter the pasture. It is really fun to watch. This sheep is obviously a bummer, raised by people with dogs.  

And since bigot usually go with sexist, my young rams have their own, extra-silly  way of expressing their morning joy - ramming into one another :lol: (oh what fun!!!!) , beginning at 2:41  there is the ram-lamb frolic and then the happy ramming :lol:.

GCV-border and D'Elle, 

Thank you! I was looking for an excuse to put it somewhere , looked here and voila! 

Darinka is a wonderful lamb dog, but she could have a little more push on the ewes, so I won't repeat to her that she is magnificent  - it might go to her head :D.