BC Boards

Help with my puppy

If he resists like that simply use the line to keep him from going any further away while you walk up to him and bring him back. Maybe you can entice him to follow you back with a treat and praising him for every step on the way back. With a puppy that young who balks I may just pick him up and take him back with me to the place where you called him from, just to start establishing the idea that cutting up doesn't work. I wouldn't do that for very long but a few times won't hurt.

Remember to reward him every time he starts coming toward you of his own volition and use your recall word. Jump around and talk in a high pitched, playful voice to entice him to come the whole way in. Who cares if he initiated it rather than you? He's still doing something you want to reinforce.

Are you making sure never to call him back to you for anything unpleasant, e.g. to clip a leash on him and make him go inside before (he thinks) he's done playing? Not sure if this was mentioned before, but it's really important to associate the recall with good things like treats, play and/or play. If the only reason he ever gets called to you is for the fun to end, he's going to make a negative association with it. Practice plenty of repetitions where you call him over to you, praise heavily and release him to go back to whatever he was doing.

As for a thread or other itinerary for training, as D'Elle says it's never too soon to start, but each dog will advance on its own timetable. I had one border collie puppy who house trained himself at 6 weeks old and had very, very few accidents after that, most of which were my fault. I had another border collie puppy adopted at 11 weeks old and started on house training prior to that and he didn't fully master it till he was 7 months old. There were variations in how quickly different dogs picked things up and even which things were easier or more time consuming to train. A thread like that, no matter how desirable it may seem, would be useless. ;)

I forgot to mention another thing I have always done, that I think is valuable. As Gentle Lake says, you need always to associate coming to you with something positive. One of those positive things can be that after you give praise and a treat, you release him to go play again. Again, do this over and over. You want the dog ultimately to think that coming when called always results in something good happening. He comes, get a reward, then gets to go run again. When I do need to bring the pup in, he gets extra praise and maybe a minute or 2 of play in the house to soften the effect of having to come inside. The idea is to make the training like a game that the puppy always wins one way or another.

I do the same for "leave it" or "give". When the dog gives me the object, I reward with something even better, AND then I give the original object back again. It is win-win for the dog, and if you do this enough times (hundreds is good), the few times that you are not able to reward with a better object and can only praise (you are on a walk and ran out of treats, maybe)  won't change the training.

Thanks GentleLake and D'Elle. I am trying to get everything right but sometime I mess up but Tucker is get better about everything now. I found out if I sit in the car or my 4 wheeler he settles down real well where I can pet him an praise him and give him treats for being calm. He doesn't seem scared of the vehicle but he settles right down where I can pet him without him wanting to bite me.

A funny think happened today. I was out walking him on his leash where we always go in the back yard when he stopped dead in his tracks. There were a couple of mushrooms that popped up from the ground over night that seemed to scare the dickens out of him. It was so funny to watch him. He would stalk up to them  and then high tail it back behind me. I finally got him over his fear but it was funny.

Another thing I have done with him. He never seemed to like his airline crate. He would go in it up he would cry a lot I believe because he could only see out of the front door. Now I put him a regular steal fencing type crate and he seem to like it much much better. He can see all around him now. He doesn't like not being able to see me. He's always got his eye on  me and when he can't see me he wines.