BC Boards

Car sickness

philologus

Tiffy used to suffer from car sickness when she was a pup, so I asked the vet for something to help her. He gave me some Metaclopramide. This encourages peristalsis and empties the dog's stomach. I didn't like this because it didn't stop her wanting to be sick, it just made it so there was nothing in her stomach for her to bring up. This is OK for me because the car stayed clean, but I wanted something that would make Tiffy feel better and be more capable of performing when we got to our destination. (Training class.)

At the training class I was advised to give the dog a ginger biscuit just before we set off. I did this and it worked!

Has anyone else had success with this and does anyone else have any "cures" for it?

you could try something called Rescue Remedy, which I think is a holistic treatment for stress and anxiety.

I have no idea whether it will work..but I am currently struggling with my old dog who suddenly has developed a severe thunderstorm phobia - and I have some Rescue Remedy on order. I have tried a few other "natural" treatments..plus benedryl..without success, and if the Rescue Remedy doesn't work, the next option is acepromazine... frown.gif

good luck

janet

Ginger is a well known "herbal" remedy for motion sickness (how many of you drink ginger ale to calm your stomach?). On the other hand, all my dogs suffered from motion sickness when young and grew out of it as they got older (we practice some behavioral cures - stick to short rides to "happy" destinations at first - generally this means rides in the truck to take care of the sheep). Who knows which worked for your dog? It's a safe remedy in any case and, if they like ginger cookies, perhaps it also creates a positive association with the car ride . . .

Kim

------------------

Black Dog Farm

http://www.blackdogfarm.com

With Fergie, using a harness that hooks into the seat belt cured her car sickness. jsut having that stability did the trick. She has travelled several times between North Carolina and Massachusetts (without a motel or even a meal stop - only potty breaks - each way) with no problems.

I've been really lucky with my dogs and the car - just as well because they spend a lot of time in it. But a friend had a very car sick GSD, and used Kim's behavioural approach -- lots of short positive rides - like 150 yards to the nearest park to go for a walk, then a whole mile to go to a beach etc.etc. I think she probably used ginger as well - certainly I've heard of other people who've used that successfully - and if the dog likes ginger cookies, then it certainly does make it a special event.

BTW 3 friends altogether had puppies from that same GSD litter and they were all car sick - but have gotten over it now, with lots of work. Apparently the mom was car sick too -- so was it an inherited or learned response - there's one for the researchers!

------------------

Barb