BC Boards

spaying

nsr

i had my BC spayed on tuesday i have kept her on a leash or crated to keep her relaxed to heal the area started getting red and is very hard to the touch on the sides of the incision the vet put her on antibiotic as a precaution has anyone ever had this happen to their BC being spayed before they think her body is sensitive to the sutures

thanks for any input

Spay incisions can look very nasty for awhile, but if you are concerned you should take her into the vet for a check. They should not charge you for a follow up visit. The vet gave you anti-biotics, right? As long as she's on those she should be ok.

Oh and keep close watch so that she doesn't lick and chew the incision. They can get carried away and take the sutures out. If she is worrying the incision, that may be the cause of the redness. If you can't watch her closely the vet can give you a collar to keep her from chewing.

------------------

Margaret

retired terrierwoman, border collie wannabe

drumlins@adelphia.net

p.s. At this point she should be fine to go for walks and so forth although it might be a bit early for strenuous stuff.

[This message has been edited by Margaret M Wheeler (edited 07-20-2002).]

We have two BC mixes as companion dogs.

Our girl, the youngest, had the same problems you describe here. She seemed to have fluid swelling under the incision, making it hard to the touch. The antibiotics eventually helped, as well as putting a hot, wet washcloth to the wound a couple times a day to clean it and coax some of the fluid out. If I remember correctly, the vet even gave us an ointment to apply. It eventually healed, but she was on the antibiotics for a while.

If I had to do it over again, I would definitely get one of those Elizabethan collars to keep her from licking it and making it worse. We took a shirt and tied it around her back end like a diaper to keep her from licking off the ointment, but it was a real hassle.

Not to mention keeping a 6 month BC pup indoors or on leash all the time. She about drove us all insane. When a week had passed and they took out her stitches and we were allowed to let her off, she ran around in circles for about ten minutes before she'd even slow down to play with the other dog. It makes you realize how important exercise is to this breed. If they didn't get their three-mile morning run in the woods with me, I can't imagine how crazy they'd be during the day.

http://jenwallace.wirephoto.com/jaya

thats exactly like it is a hard mass next to the incision but she is not licking at her incision at all and she has internal stitches there are none on the outside so she does not have to go back to get anything removed she has been on antibiotic now for 3 days and the redness is gone but the hard lump like mass is still there and she is driving me crazy to run. She usually plays soccer every night with one of my daughters they have taught how to dribble so she is confused on why she can't run or play today is the sixth day or no running and she is getting crazy Thanks for your info and your dogs are adorable

nancy

It's possible to feel the "ridge" of stitiches where the inner incision has been closed on any abdominal surgery. Is it possible that the lump you're feeling is actually this internal row of stitches?

If you're really concerned about the lump, take your pup back to the vet for a recheck. The vet can then perhaps explain things and give you a little peace of mind.

J.

today she is actually feeling normal again the lump started to go down they feel she had a sensitivity to the sutures inside and that is what caused the swelling it doesn't hurt her to walk anymore so i will give her a few more days of limited activity than let her run just picture this it has been one week with a 7 month old BC who has not gotten to run and play