BC Boards

Adequan injections?

I know that experiences are different from dog to dog, but just would like to hear from people who've used Adequan for their dogs' joint pain. Still have 3 weeks to go with using concentrated fish oil supplement for Gibbs' achy knees, and perhaps I won't need to do Adequan for him.

Doing a little research, it seems that you do 2 weekly injections for 4 weeks and then no more? Am I reading that right? It has been a longish day, so perhaps I'm misinterpreting the info.

TIA!

Ruth & Gibbs

When I was using it we did one shot a week for a month, a loading dose, for her. Then we went to one every 2 weeks, and progressively stepped down till one a month. As needed I could give her more. I used it for about a year, however, it was necessary to go back to about a 3 week interval. When she came off it I never went back. Her situation isn't leg related, I found it worked for a while but not well enough to continue. Good luck with Gibbs!

The instructions on Adequan are to give one series of injections - biweekly injections for up to 4 weeks.

The monthly maintenance injections are an off label use that vets routinely recommend. 

Also, ask your vet about Chondroprotect (sp?) It’s a generic form that a rehab veterinarian recommended to me for my dogs 

It's been awhile since I started my dog on it, but yes, there was a loading dose, reduced later.

That said, my 12 yr old has been on it for several years.  (He has hip dysplasia and spondylosis, but is very active, and no particular symptoms of either!)   I do one ml once a month.  Honestly, I can't say for sure it has helped (we do several other supplements and lots of exercises); and it is expensive.  But at this point in his life, I'm not willing to stop doing it!

diane

I have no experience with adequan or chondroprotec, however, one of my boys has quite severe hip dysplasia and has been placed on cartrophen injections.  The way that was described to me was that it was an artificial replacement or supplement for synovial fluid in the joints to help relieve joint pain.  That was four weekly injections and then one injection every three months, with the option of increasing frequency as needed later.  It has worked incredibly well for my boy.

On 7/30/2018 at 4:11 PM, diane allen said:

I hadn't heard of Condroprotec, did a quick bit of 'net research, and am open to other sources.  But several I found said that it isn't "proven" to be as effective as Adequan, but works in a similar fashion.  Anyone have evidence otherwise?  It *is* much cheaper!

diane

I, too, have yet to find specific evidence. But the vet I went to has worked in rehab exclusively for about 8 years and is now working on her board certification in rehabilitation. So I took that as a pretty educated opinion and advice. 

The Veterinary practice I work at gives adequan injections.  We give the injection in the muscle every four days for eight injections.  After that it is monthly.  We recommend it for dogs who have torn cruciate ligaments and dogs with joint pain due to arthritis.  Some dogs it really seems to help.  I would say 75% show some improvement, sometimes the change is dramatic.  Usually by injection #6 the owner will see an improvement in activity.  The nice thing about it is that it has minimal side effects.  Twice we had dogs that got diarrhea after the injections so they were stopped.  We had an old Rottie that could only go three weeks between injections.  By the fourth week she couldn't climb the steps she needed to, so her adequan was given every three weeks.  We will also give it to cats.  It is a different schedule but they seem to benefit also.  Really, the only drawback is the price.