BC Boards

Border Collie help with other dogs

So we bought a 2 year old border collie who was a working dog off a farmer 90 minutes east of calgary. She herded cattle with 2 other border collies, reason for farmer giving her up is because she rather play with the farmers children, and didn't want to stop play time with the other dogs

So she has never been anywhere off the farm, slept outside, brought her into the city, we exercise her lots, we already have bonded pretty well she loves my fiance and I, and she is very well off leash and very obedient. 

We have had her for about 3 weeks now she seems very comfortable and adapted well to the new lifestyle but of course i feel she needs a couple more months.
We have a 2 month old Brindle Pit bull/ lha soapso mix who is super energetic but has her own space, whenever we let her out she always want to jump and play with our collie but our collie growls at her and gives obvious signs of discomfort so we always keep them separate, our collie doesn't seem to have interest in our puppy and doesn't actually mind her being around unless she jumps on her several times. So she is tolerating the puppy. 

Now other dogs when we walk by some she will be scared and hide on my other side, some she will straight out growl and snarl which I'm glad for because its a warning indicator.

So yes, here is the question but first, yes I know my dog's personality might be not into other dogs, she probably needs more time to adjust,

How do I at least get my dog to tolerate other dogs, I would love to take her out to a public off leash area with good reputation and have her at least run to me when a dog approaches her. The farmer did say she absolutely loved playing with the other 2 collies though, (not family related) 

Hi there and welcome. You have already answered your own question. She needs time to adjust. She is in a new situation, everything is different, and it has only been a short time. Be patient. Don't take her out into public yet and especially do not take her off leash around other dogs. Give her another month minimum to settle in and if she is still behaving that way we can offer advice on how to work with it. She is scared because she doesn't yet know that you have her back.

Second, if you have not had a border collie before you may not be aware that many of them are "breed snobs", and will only play with or even tolerate other border collies. Part of the reason for that is they have a different style from other dogs. They stare, which other dogs take as a challenge. They chase, which not all dogs like. They attempt to control where other dogs go, which again can be seen as a challenge by some other dogs. They dislike in-your-face styles of play, which many other dogs consider the proper way to advance a playful invitation, and they may react with snarls to that. You may have a dog who, having spent her whole life around only other border collies, only understands and tolerates border collie-style play, and that may always be the case for her, in which case you will need to adapt what you do with her accordingly. But first just have patience and don't rush her into anything. Let her adjust at her own pace.

Best of luck, and we always like to see photos. :-)