BC Boards

Send good wishes for Gibbs

Gibbs & I are off to see a veterinary orthopedist this a.m. He's had intermittent lameness in his left hind leg for a while. The ortho vet I had taken him to several times finally said, "I can't find anything wrong with this dog. It might be time to get a fresh set of eyes on him". 

So off we go to a much recommended vet in Mill Valley. He'll stay for the day, get xrays. I'll pick him up around 4:15 and see the doc. Will report in full this evening.

Wish him luck ~ and sympathy. He's very confused that he hasn't had breakfast yet!

Ruth & Gibbs

GL, I wrote out a summary of all the various things having to do with that limp over the past several years. Reviewed it this a.m. and remembered that he is Lyme positive from the womb. He was whelped in CT, and when the dam became ill a year or so after the pups were born, she tested positive. Owners spayed her and notified everyone who had bought a pup from that breeding. Gibbs came back positive not long after I got him. I added that info to the summary I gave the vet.

Ruth (the house seems SOOO Empty!)

If the vet can't find anything else, I'd be inclined to ask if it could be a Lyme flare then. Or even a reinfection. No way to know if a dog who's Lyme+ gets reinfected AFAIK. One of my dogs is, though she never exhibited any signs of illness. Bu unless she has symptoms, I won't be able to know if she's encountered another infected tick.

More good wishes coming your way so you can end that awful silence.

Heard back from the vet tech. They're xraying his entire left 'hindquarter' - from hip to toes. She said the vet reported that he felt a little swelling in the knee, and that his hock was sore as well.

I did ask the tech if Lyme aftermath processes leave any sort of visible effects. She didn't know but I'll be sure to ask dr when I see him. More updates as they occur!

Ruth

PS ~ We do have Lyme disease here in Northern CA, so he could have been re-infected. 

Kinda good news ~ he's got a little bit of damage to the cruciate ligament in both knees.  He got xrays of both knees, and from what I described to the Dr. he's recommending some ultra concentrated omega 3 acids, (fish oil called omega via that I can buy on the internet. I'll try that for a month and see if it helps. Dr. Sams is hopeful that conservative treatment will do the trick.

If that doesn't make much difference, we can add in Adequan and hyaluronic acid. I'll get to learn how to give sub-q injections!

I did mention the Lyme disease, and he said he doesn't think it's that. If a month on the concentrated fatty acids doesn't make a difference, we might revisit. 

He's home, a bit tired but doing well. Thanks for all the good wishes and support!

Ruth & Gibbs

Well, it's good to have a cause and a plan of treatment. And it could've been worse.

Giving sub-q injections isn't hard at all. I think the worst thing is getting over the fear factor. Most ppl worry that they won't do it right and hurt the dog. But it's not difficult - many ppl give themselves shots.

I've had 2 dogs I had to give regular injections to for years (and others I've given vaccines). They really didn't mind it. I always followed immediately with a treat. One of them was such a chow hound that he'd see me getting the syringe out and come over and sit pretty 'cause he wanted his cookie. :rolleyes:

There is a product called Movoflex with hyaluronic acid and boswellia that I have my Border Collie on and it works very well.  I'm actually trying to find a human version of it to take myself!  (I'm not kidding.)  What brand is the EFA fish oil both you and Gibbs take?  Does it have Krill oil?  Do you get gross "fish burps" from it?  I'd like to take fish oil  (my Border takes it also) but I'm allergic to shellfish and so can't take Krill oil and "fish burps" gross me out.   Adequan is a good idea, usually you see an improvement by the sixth injection.  

Not Ruth, but I take a lot of fish oil too as well as my dogs. I've only rarely noticed fish burps among us.

But I swear lately the dogs smell like fish -- not their breath, the dog.:blink:

It's making me wonder if I smell fishy too! :ph34r:

ETA: Something was niggling at me so I went to look at the bottle. It states that there's "no fishy aftertaste because they use "the freshest, finest fish oils available" (who knows?) and that they use a "proprietary Essentials Fresh (TM) blend of essential oils."

It's the Sam's Club Member's Mark brand, concentrated (3 different concentrations available; I use triple) made from "100% Wild Alaskan Fish", "pollok and/or whiting." Certified sustainable is nice.

the brand the dr sells & recommends ($29 for 60 caps is Omega Via. 3x as muchomega 3 as regular fish oil.

Total Omega 3  1105 mg, (EPA 780 mg Omega 3, DHA 260 mg, the remainder is DPA & other omega 3. I can buy it over the internet or probably at a local health food store, as well.

Dr. recommended starting at 1 cap/day for several days, and gradually increasing to 3 caps/day. Will be keeping an eye on his limping.

Ruth & Gibbs

Aschlemm to answer your question, no fishy burps here. I've been taking plain old fish oil for years, and haven't noticed any smelly 'burpage'. None from Gibbs, either, and his poops remain the same as well.

Will keep you all apprised as we up the dosage, if you like.

Ruth & Gibbs