BC Boards

Best way to deal with biting lunges at my calf

My 13 week old is still taking biting lunges at my husband and I once or twice a day. He’s mentally and physically entertained and I know he’s just impolitely instigating play albeit he mostly does this when over stimulated. We typically give a loud verbal correction and then time out in his crate. He doesn’t protest. We did try the ‘stand still’ to no avail and the diversion method. The latter just seemed to let him know that lunging got him a toy! Water bottle had no effect. What have you found most effective? I really want to be consistent so this doesn’t get out of hand when he’s older. I don’t think I can pick him up and put him in his crate for much longer! 

You don't say for how long you have been giving him a "time out" in his crate for this, but it sounds as though you have tried other methods and therefore perhaps have simply not given this one enough time. What I would do if it were a dog in my care is say "No!" firmly but without anger, not loudly, and then put the dog in the crate, as you are doing. The dog doesn't have to be picked up to be put in there; taking the dog by the collar may be more effective in any case. Have the crate in another room and close the door so the dog is isolated, and leave him there 10 minutes. When you let him out, don't be cheerful or angry either one - just neutral.

The second he lunges again, back into the crate. Use only this method, no others. And do it as many times a day as is necessary. It might take several weeks to break him of this habit, so don't get discouraged and think the method isn't working. Unfortunately, you used several different things, and unwittingly rewarded him for a while for doing this by giving him a toy and this may mean it takes longer to break him of the habit. You just have to be persistent and 100% consistent. Eventually he will stop doing it, as it never gets him anything he wants. He is still a baby, and he will be persistent as well. You just have to outlast him. Best of luck and keep us informed so we can help. :-)

What she said, especially about the behavior having been reinforced and now harder to discourage.

Just wanted to add that you should be prepared for an extinction burst where the pup may initially increase the behavior before it begins to subside. It happens when dogs are confused when a behavior that used to be reinforced suddenly isn't any longer, so the first reaction is to do it more in the hope that it will work again. This is where the 100% consistency comes in. When the dog figures out the bahavior's no longer rewarded, it should begin to fade. But, if you slip up every now and again, you'll actually be intermittently rewarding. Random, intermittent rewards are actually much more effective than consistent, constant rewards, so you'll be undermining your efforts drastically if you fail to follow through every time.

Thank you both very much. I will do that. It makes far more sense to me as well - thinking back to my parenting days haha! 

If you have an opinion on what to do when he jumps up on the leash and adds in a lunge whilst walking that would be appreciated. I’m pretty sure he does it when tired or frustrated so trying to manage that aspect too but I clearly need a different strategy to ‘time out’ whilst walking. 

I am very grateful to have access to these boards for advice :)

If I had a dog who was doing that while walking, I would say NO,  and have the dog sit or lie down.

I would then stand there for perhaps 30 seconds, keeping the dog in a sit or down (if necessary, putting my foot on the leash), not talking to the dog, and then let the dog up and continue the walk. I would do this about three times and the fourth time the walk would be over. The dog would be on a short leash, not allowed any sniffing or fun, and marched back to the house. If you do that, the fun stops. Again, please do this without anger, without ever jerking the dog or having an attitude of punishment. A simple attitude of neutrality is best. Do this=this happens, and that's all. I try to think of it as if it were simply a law of the universe, like gravity. That keeps the relationship between you and the dog positive, keeps you from getting angry or frustrated, and works the fastest.

If you think he is doing it out of tiredness and or frustration, then stop the walk or training before he reaches that point. Make the walks/training sessions very short.

You have all given very helpful advice. I’d like to say I will always remain with a neutral voice but i’m Human and fallible and I hear myself shouting his name when he lunges and ruins another piece of clothing - but I try really hard not to! 

I understand about being human.....I sure have made mistakes myself. Just keep trying, hard. Remember that it is very damaging to the relationship you have with your dog to shout at him, most especially if you shout his name! This teaches him that his name is something used in a negative way, and you don't want that. It may make him not want to come to you when you say his name.

Think about it as if he were a child. You would not want to yell at a human child. We all know how damaging that is to the kid. Same thing. Additionally, shouting his name at him when he lunges at you only increases the excitement, rather than decreasing it. Increasing the excitement, and adding in anger and negativity, will only serve to make your dog more likely to respond in a self-protective manner that could lead to aggressive behavior. What you need to do is calm things down, not aggravate them. Plus, he has no idea what it means for you to shout his name at him, and it will only confuse him. 

My suggestion: Make yourself say nothing at all. Not a word, not even No, and certainly not his name. Just take him (gently!) by the collar and take him to his crate for a time out. If you respond with anger all you are doing is creating a conflict: a power struggle between you and your dog, and that is the last thing you want.

Thank you and you are so right! It was a bit of an instinctive reaction when he ripped my brand new pants but it was such a growl that I made I doubt he would have recognised his name in there! Most of the time I am calm but assertive. He actually responds well to me holding his scruff. I DON’T mean shaking him - I just hold it. It seems to calm him down and he always wants to lick my face afterwards. I reserve this for when he is clearly finding it hard to switch off from what he’s doing and won’t respond to a command. Incidentally he’s not a puller. He enthusiastically goes forward but if he gets too far ahead I stop and and he will stop and sit and wait for me. Or he will respond to a little jiggle on the leash and look and wait for me. I notice he gets very leash bitey when stressed -  cars, dogs barking etc. There is one road (unfortunately our nearest one) that’s almost impossible from him to walk down without seriously playing up yet a walk in the woods and he’s as good as gold.

Inside the house we are adopting a zero tolerance rule of 10mins in the crate for any teeth on the legs that arise from him either choosing to nip us or instigating play with a biting lunge. We think it’s working and we will keep it up.

So thanks again all for your help. He’s a sweetheart and i’m looking forward to the challenge of helping him be even sweeter :)

2 hours ago, ShellyF said:

He actually responds well to me holding his scruff. I DON’T mean shaking him - I just hold it. It seems to calm him down and he always wants to lick my face afterwards.

When he responds like this it's not a sign of affection but of submission; he's trying to get back in your good graces, whether he has any understanding of why he's getting a correction or not.

Scruff grabbing is considered an aversive technique.